Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the little things.

A day may seem harsh. What with the cold, winds, rain/snow, pulltabs, clad ad nauseum, etc. ;)

But all in all, if one pays attention, they start to see the little things that make a hunt worth all the above.

Today was no exception. Nothing that one could call super today but a few little surprises along the way and all of a sudden, it's a memorable day.

I was getting zincoln after zincoln after zincoln until I muttered as I knelt down, "Let's get another penny out of the way." It only hit at about 80 and just an inch or three deep. But, when I turned over the plug, there was something smiling up at me and it wasn't a penny.

LILSPRIZE1.jpg

LILSPRIZE2.jpg

LILSPRIZE3.jpg

That, alone, made my day.

Here's the rest:

IMGA1946.JPG

IMGA1947.JPG

This odd lil piece just looked like complete garbage in the field. When I got it home it showed up a little better. Not worth much but it was another little thing that helped to make this a nice day.

IMGA1950.JPG

Then there was this "zincoln" that showed itself for what it really was only after I got it home.

IMGA1949.JPG

If one looks close enough, they would see 1882! Also, this indianhead looks promising for clean up. Seems like there's a lot of detail under the crust.
What do you think? Should I start with olive oil? Peroxide? Maybe electrolysis? :)

IMGA1951.JPG

And of course, the little star of the show.

IMGA1952.JPG

Anyone recognize the jeweler's mark?

All in all, add up the little things and this was a very memorable hunt.

Thanks for peeking!

HH!

Upvote 1

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suit yourself, but after experimentation I'd NEVER use electrolisys on any copper or silver find, unless you like pitting. Best left for iron objects only, and then there are other methods for that that are just as good / better, and make less gunk.

Peroxide is pretty safe. the exception being if the coin is weak, and the detail is only in a thin layer that is ready to flake off due to corrosion. I don't think that's your case. Soak, q-tip, repeat. It's no key date, so you don't have much to loose, and should be able to make it look much better.

Olive oil in my opinion does nothing, I've left things soak for weeks with no noticable effect. Have "heard" (not tried) that boiling the oil will produce results in minutes ?

PS, yeah I know what a decent find will do, like making you forget about how cold your fingers are, or how thick the bugs are.

Last edited:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tried electrolysis, vinegar, olive oil, ultrasonic cleaning, soapy water & toothbrush.........you name it, I've tried it. The best method I've used is ultrasonic cleaning. But even then, on some rare occasions, the coins come out looking worse than they went in! It all comes down to whether or not you're willing to accept the fact that if you try to clean a coin, you might end up ruining it. Everybody knows the saying and it holds true, “Never clean a coin. It ruins the value!“ Believe me, the desire is there to clean a coin but if you really cherish that coin, I would just leave it alone.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Suit yourself, but after experimentation I'd NEVER use electrolisys on any copper or silver find, unless you like pitting. Best left for iron objects only, and then there are other methods for that that are just as good / better, and make less gunk.

Peroxide is pretty safe. the exception being if the coin is weak, and the detail is only in a thin layer that is ready to flake off due to corrosion. I don't think that's your case. Soak, q-tip, repeat. It's no key date, so you don't have much to loose, and should be able to make it look much better.

Olive oil in my opinion does nothing, I've left things soak for weeks with no noticable effect. Have "heard" (not tried) that boiling the oil will produce results in minutes ?

PS, yeah I know what a decent find will do, like making you forget about how cold your fingers are, or how thick the bugs are.

Yeah Rick deep fry those toasty coins!!!
And the for the folks who clean coins with salt,vinegar, ketchup, hot sauce, whatever....save all that for the French fries lol
There are, as always , a good better best method of cleaning items, experience and good advice should dictate how some relics etc are cleaned if you choose to. In any case the simplest and mildest should be the first thought.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! Always enjoy reading your stories....you are truly the Andy Rooney of T-Net :laughing7: Did ya ever notice....

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zincolns get turned into silver at the end of the year. 8-)

Great, sweet ring and congrats on the Indian Head cent.

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a ring just like that about 20 years ago. Sadly I thinned the band with wear until it wore right through. I don't remember where I got it, though. Would be tickled to find another! Great finds!

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet payoff for "grinding".

OLIVE OIL. I would heat a shot glass with some.... or simmer it slowly in olive oil.... seems to speed up the process. I have ruined coins with electrolysis and using things like Brasso and and apple cider vinegar. Olive oil and patience seems to be the answer.

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds!!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, it does do that, doesn't it though. :)

About cleaning, I agree except that I have had some luck with olive oil soaks. Takes time though.

Thanks!

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the for the folks who clean coins with salt,vinegar, ketchup, hot sauce, whatever....save all that for the French fries lol

I have to admit, some of the "magic elixirs" have caused me a giggle or two, from time to time. ;) Like one I haven't figured out is, apple cider vinegar over white vinegar, when both are usually 5% acidity. Maybe it's a different acid? :)

Still, I always say, clean if you must, but remember the historical value first.

Thanks!
HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Always enjoy reading your stories....you are truly the Andy Rooney of T-Net :laughing7: Did ya ever notice....

Aren'tcha kind, aren'tcha kind! Thank you sir for noticing and saying something! ;)

I kind of like the style of ".....and NOW....you know, the REST of the story." LOL :)

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zincolns get turned into silver at the end of the year. 8-)

Great, sweet ring and congrats on the Indian Head cent.

SOOOOO! THAT"S the trick!!! LOL

Thanks!

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a ring just like that about 20 years ago. Sadly I thinned the band with wear until it wore right through. I don't remember where I got it, though. Would be tickled to find another! Great finds!

Welp, you're in the right place. If ANY "hobby" could replace that memory, this is the one!

Thanks!

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet payoff for "grinding".

OLIVE OIL. I would heat a shot glass with some.... or simmer it slowly in olive oil.... seems to speed up the process. I have ruined coins with electrolysis and using things like Brasso and and apple cider vinegar. Olive oil and patience seems to be the answer.

Done and done, see my latest post.

First thing is to recognize what kind of corrosion one is cleaning. Even copper has several different ways it can decay, depending on the soil.

Thanks!

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried electrolysis, vinegar, olive oil, ultrasonic cleaning, soapy water & toothbrush.........you name it, I've tried it. The best method I've used is ultrasonic cleaning. But even then, on some rare occasions, the coins come out looking worse than they went in! It all comes down to whether or not you're willing to accept the fact that if you try to clean a coin, you might end up ruining it. Everybody knows the saying and it holds true, “Never clean a coin. It ruins the value!“ Believe me, the desire is there to clean a coin but if you really cherish that coin, I would just leave it alone.

Ultrasonic is also and option for me too. Do you use any "abrasive" elements in the solution? Some, it would take a sand blaster to clean! LOL But, I was thinking maybe, some sort of tiny additive. Or maybe, fill it with sand and then turn on the ultrasound. LOL

HH!

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not use any additive, just hot water and liquid soap. I soak the coins or jewelry for about an hour and then turn on the ultrasonic cleaner for about 5 or 6 minutes. If they do not come out clean after this, I just let them be. I would much rather have a dirty coin I can read versus a cleaner coin which is no longer readable!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread