Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out with Shanegalang to do some Deep South Diggin. Anyhow, Shane had to work in the morning for a while, so I dropped by an old field of ours to try out my new Fisher F75. Well, I did get some good keepers. Got a flat button, and a some other bits, then got a jumpy signal in a row that I know we have gridded four times at least. Out popped a button. I was hoping for Military, and let the camera roll:

A.jpg

I was pleased to get the eagle, even though it was destroyed. I love the Civil War stuff. It's what fascinated me about the hobby since I was 13 years old. At any rate, I soon got a call from Shane that he was close by and he wanted to hit a new spot we've been looking at. The cane was cut and burned this week, and we got in that dry, dusty, ash-covered field. Pretty soon we had a couple musket balls, and he got a nice decorated flintlock musket trigger guard. Things were looking up...BUT...

The area was Covered with trash. Can slaw. Pulltabs. Crappe! The site was badly contaminated by lots of newer junk, including Victorian era stuff, wheat pennies, farm junk, and GawGag. I wanted to persist for a while and see what else we could pull, and so we dedicated the rest of the day to digging out the junk. A while later, Shane called me to get the camera rolling again. He had just dug a Silver coin!

capped.JPG

It was really decent Capped Bust, which got us fired up. I only had a couple wheats, a GawGag buffalo nickel, and two play coins to my credit on the new site. Well, we kept working it, clearing a ton of trash out, and several buckets of junk iron. Here's Shane digging up some more aluminum can, with a lot of really flat Real Estate in the background of the shot.

C.jpg

I dug a whole pocket watch, which was a cool find. Also got a thimble in pristine condition (I think almost every one of the ones I've dug in 20 years have been mashed or trashed). Eventually we called it a day. I think there is more there, and I'm not certain we hit the sweet spot yet, since the finds were old enough for flat buttons to have been there and we dug not a one. At any rate, here are my finds. Not sure how old the horse bit is. Anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it!

D1.jpg

A couple close-ups. I also got the engraved piece of OLD brass beside the pocket watch. Not sure what it was from.

E.jpg

E1.jpg

As I was cleaning off the eagle button, I began to notice that it was very strange. The camera doesn't catch this detail very well, because it doesn't differentiate between the face and back of the button. This appears to be a button that has had the eagle cut out! The cuts are down the wings and across the body, and they are uneven, in some cases well into the design, not as a result of plow damage, which normally causes a button to break at the die stress points. Wish there was no plow hit on this one, because this "trashed" eagle turned into a cool find!

F.jpg

G.jpg

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 6

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really enjoyable post. I have heard of diggers finding eagle buttons with the body outine cut out. Nobody seems to know why a perfectly good button was destroyed except out of sheer boredom. You guys were stoked when Shane dug the CB. Some very nice finds there and the burned cane field looks much easier to hunt than what you posted in the summer and early fall. WTG, Quindy.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This post just got me all giddy, Buck. You and Shane sounded super giddy during that Capped Bust dig. Way to go, Bandits! You guys are on top of the boards again. Passion Pumped!

Kirk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was great. I was cracking up him dropping his coin and looking for it. How often we do that crazy stuff with our finds. Fun hunts that burned field looks like a lot of swinging time. Good luck. TnMtns

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff my friend. Looks like an awesome playground.:icon_thumleft:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds guys. Definitely a range of eras in that field. I'm sure there are more goodies among the slaw and ghaw ghag. I couldn't imagine hunting those fields on a windy day with all the dust and ash.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really enjoyable post. I have heard of diggers finding eagle buttons with the body outine cut out. Nobody seems to know why a perfectly good button was destroyed except out of sheer boredom. You guys were stoked when Shane dug the CB. Some very nice finds there and the burned cane field looks much easier to hunt than what you posted in the summer and early fall. WTG, Quindy.

Much nicer, but the biggest thing is that it's in the 70s instead of the 100s here. The ash is a pain, because until it rains, you breathe it in all day as the wind blows it and it rises in billowing puffs as you step on it when it's really dry. I forgot to tuck my pants into my boots, and later on I noticed my legs were black up to my knees!

This post just got me all giddy, Buck. You and Shane sounded super giddy during that Capped Bust dig. Way to go, Bandits! You guys are on top of the boards again. Passion Pumped!

Kirk

Haha anytime a Capped comes up, it is a day for excitement for sure. Those are the earliest American coins that we are likely to find as detectorists. More to come. We are closing in on a great site...lips sealed. But, if we get distracted by mid-1800s finds then that's cool too. I'll never complain about CW finds. Keep checking in. I have a feeling something incredible will get dug this fall by one of us!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds guys. Definitely a range of eras in that field. I'm sure there are more goodies among the slaw and ghaw ghag. I couldn't imagine hunting those fields on a windy day with all the dust and ash.

In reality, we should've worn masks. Not good for the lungs!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a little different, I wonder what they cut it with?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds...I've seen coins cut in this fashion but never a button.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cap Bust is always good, from the picture it looks like Kentucky ground might be easier on em.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt looks like fun

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a little different, I wonder what they cut it with?

Another well-known CW relic dealer once had one, and it appears that they were cut out of the button face with a scalpel. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread