🥇 BANNER GOLD COIN...BOOYEAH!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only took 8 years but this afternoon I found my first gold coin. I had a friend down to detect some "old faithful" areas as the "good" sites are still not available. This is the same friend who found the 2 cannonballs on my site the last time he was here to detect...same site too! The day started pretty slow and I was somewhat disappointed that the sites I had been hoping for were not available. I did have the backup plan and we executed that. Phil started with a couple coppers and I with a button and a musket ramrod thimble. Phil called me over to pinpoint a target in his hole and when I was walking away I got a nice solid signal. It was pinpointing about four inches down so I cut a nice wide plug. I flipped it over and just about freaked out! There was some profanity involved when I saw the distinct gleam of gold on the plug! I grabbed a couple insitu shots and id'd it as a Victorian 1870 Sovereign! Some knuckle head in the past soldered a loop on it to wear on a chain which was his downfall and my fortune!

Attachments

• j71hi.jpg
    j71hi.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 604
  • yibows.jpg
    yibows.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 407ogd.jpg
    407ogd.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 552
  • m2efv.jpg
    m2efv.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 554
  • bpejq.jpg
    bpejq.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Upvote 35

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes! Banner coin!! :icon_thumright: .... it's amazing how you could identify parts of the rifle.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !

Somehow I'm not too surprised. You've found some great stuff.
I can only hope to gold in my hole someday, but probably won't put it on my top ten list.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The individual who sold my parents their house, purchased a gold chain with 10 - $20 US gold pieces soldered to it. It was purchased from a gypsie for the sum of $200. Needless to say he stole it. He was a little shady so I assume he told the gypsie that the coins were worthless because of the solder and he bought the coins at face value. This was back in 1962, so gold was not worth quite what it is today. Anyway, he came back to our house asking if I had seen a brown glass bottle in any of the outbuildings. Seems it contained a nitric acid solution that would dissolve the low karat gold used in the solder but would not affect the higher karet gold in the coin. I showed him where the bottle was and he went away a happy camper. Of course dissolving low karet gold is exactly what happens when we do an acid test on the gold we find. Anyway, I think you can restore the coin by dissolving the soldered loop. Super find by the way and let us know if you try the acid removal of the solder. Papa

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on finding the gold coin!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Congrats on the Banner !! Jim

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great half sovereign! For whatever reason they made jewlery out of alot of gold coins in the day. I've seen people de-solder the loop to restore the coin, at least it wasn't holed. If you choose to do something like that talk to someone that knows numistics to see what damage might be done to the value of the coin, if I had to guess I think you will most likely keep your first gold coin just the way it was found. Be careful though- gold coins can be addictive.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Vickies lookin good :occasion14:

I thought my goldie was a token or a plastic toy at first sight,
cause no, it can't be real....
not till I picked it up did I believe.
laughing7.gif
great ID on the musket parts, I saved your diagram. Big Congrats!!!

Last edited:

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always a GREAT thrill seeing a yeller coin in the plug,may you see many more in the future!....

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! Congrats Romeo!

A gold Sticky Vicky! (I have the monarchs all nicknamed... Sticky Vicky, Fast Eddie, Old Georgius, Georgeous Georgius... Thin Lizzy)

Amaaaaazing!!!!! Holy crap...

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!!!........................HH

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a super-sweet find!! Nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, congrats...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread