All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, they like like a set.

OP
OP
J

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
backside of religious medalion

This is the opposite side of the medalion.

Attachments

• religious medalion.jpg
    religious medalion.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 443

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

That religous charm is different.

HH Jer

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
That's pretty cool-never seen one like that.Have ya got any idea how old those are?Nice finds.

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
Nice find...Very nice. What you found is known in the Catholic faith as a miraculous medal. It's in honor of the Virgin Mary. On the reverse is a small image of St. Theresa....a modern day Saint who was born in the late 1800's in Lesure, France. She became a Carmlite nun and died in her early 20's. She is known as "The Little Flower". Thats why the roses are engraved on the reverse. Before she died she mentioned sending a shower of roses on those who ask for her intersession in prayer. She is also known as "St. Theresa of the Infant Jesus." She is now a Doctor of the church . Hope this helps in understanding your find.

Woodsie

OP
OP
J

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
woodsie
thank you very much for the history on the medalian.That would explain the date 1830 on it.i knew it wasnt that old as the craftsmanship is awesome on it,although i did find an 1828 1/2 franc about 5 feet away.I suspected that it was from the 1940's or 50's by the workmanship.I have found a few other large pieces of silver this year but this one is my favorite. hh jon

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and Thanks Woodsie for the info, I too have found many of these Virgin Mary pins and always wondered about them. Thanks again to both of you.

HH, Ringfinder

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! cool religeos medal

HH
-GC

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice digs,

hh

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
jonhls said:
woodsie
thank you very much for the history on the medalian.That would explain the date 1830 on it.i knew it wasn't that old as the craftsmanship is awesome on it,although i did find an 1828 1/2 franc about 5 feet away.I suspected that it was from the 1940's or 50's by the workmanship.I have found a few other large pieces of silver this year but this one is my favorite. hh jon

Your most welcome. The date 1830 was the date that the Catholic Church made it official that the Virgin Mary was born without original sin in order for her to carry the infant Jesus. The doctrine was known as the Immaculate Conception. And today by coincidence..today (Dec. 8 ) is The feast of the Immaculate Conception, a holy day of obligation in the Catholic Church. I want you all to know that I don't go around wearing my religion on my sleeve, I just love the history of a lot of the religious medals I've found. I have found about 15 Miraculous medals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions