Check That One Off The List! Confederate South Carolina State Seal Button Dug In NC!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great day of digging it turned out to be! Me and a good friend Evan worked a site to death for about two hours and did not get anything but shotgun shells. We went across the ridge to some 1800s log cabins, and started detecting. In the past, nothing significant has been dug around that area. Someone had cleared around the cabins with a skidsteer, so we were getting lots of signals. Neither of us dug anything old, but as we were about to call it a night, I got a great high tone on my AT Gold. I dug a hole, and expecting a coin, I was shocked to see a button at the bottom of the hole. I picked it up and it was clearly a South Carolina state seal button! I have never dug an old button like this with so much relief! I am glad to have such a beautiful example for my FIRST EVER SOUTH CAROLINA STATE SEAL BUTTON!!!!! I am so happy to be able to cross this one off the list. I did not think I would EVER get one. It has the HT&B MANCHESTER backmark. These buttons were made during the Civil War in Europe, for the Confederacy! Thanks for looking and enjoy the pictures!

IMAG0449.jpg
As Dug, Button On Clod
IMAG0450.jpg
Before Dry Cleaning
IMAG0451.jpg
Before Dry Cleaning
IMAG0452-1.jpg
After Dry Cleaning
IMAG0453-1.jpg
HT&B MANCHESTER

Last edited:
Upvote 3

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,That is a dandy too!!Dang rare,button.My buddy dug one in Calif. of all places!!!

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful button. Congratulations! :occasion14:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY MOLY I dont think u could buy one that nice.. STELLAR find!! CONGRATS.. HH

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats. That's in amazing condition:icon_thumright:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You've been killing it lately. Congrats on that SC button. It's in awesome condition. I know you don't like cleaning your finds but if you dabbed some aluminum jelly on it and used a soft tooth brush I bet it would show 95% of the gilt. Let me know if you want to try it and I'll bring my aluminum jelly to the meeting Tuesday.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button. Congrats on scratching one off your list.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a blazer of a button my friend! :icon_thumright: How'd the back come out? I guess the South did have some quality equipment after all--although it had to be imported from Europe :laughing7:

(Just messin' with ya my Southern bretheren....before I get flamed, y'all :occasion14:)

Congrats on the spectacular button! I vote Banner!

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a blazer of a button my friend! :icon_thumright: How'd the back come out? I guess the South did have some quality equipment after all--although it had to be imported from Europe :laughing7:

(Just messin' with ya my Southern bretheren....before I get flamed, y'all :occasion14:)

Congrats on the spectacular button! I vote Banner!

The back is pictured in the bottom picture, it had a thin layer of dirt/oxidation that I am scared to scratch off because i have cleaned buttons before and they lose the detail, which was actually water soluble oxidation. I like to dry clean my finds, they seem to retain most of the original detail. I have rarely seen a SC button dug, but the NC ones I have seen are corroded heavily. England had their button making figured out. Thanks for the kind words!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw Aluminum Jelly mentioned on BuckleBoy's page (I think it was) regarding the cleaning of buttons...I'd love to try it. Is it different than Naval Jelly? Also would love to know how our friend FIN "drycleans" his buttons.

Regards, Erik

You've been killing it lately. Congrats on that SC button. It's in awesome condition. I know you don't like cleaning your finds but if you dabbed some aluminum jelly on it and used a soft tooth brush I bet it would show 95% of the gilt. Let me know if you want to try it and I'll bring my aluminum jelly to the meeting Tuesday.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find for sure and you did a good job in cleaning it. I would be scared to do more also. Buckleboy as said above seems to know his stuff. I have tried the alum jelly but am scared to leave anything on long.
Nice find sir.

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome!! Congrats on that Confederate button!!!

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer button that's in great shape!!!!!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Aluminum jelly is much gentler than navel jelly. I still wear rubber glove when handling it but I take a soft tooth brush and dip it into the jelly then dab it onto the face of the button. Let it stand for about 15 seconds then gently brush in a circular motion. You will be amazed at how good it works. I cleaned another buddy of mine's SC button and it came out almost like new. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/283575-1st-trime-cw-button.html I'd love to see Brad's button after cleaning it.

I saw Aluminum Jelly mentioned on BuckleBoy's page (I think it was) regarding the cleaning of buttons...I'd love to try it. Is it different than Naval Jelly? Also would love to know how our friend FIN "drycleans" his buttons.

Regards, Erik

Last edited:

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, congratulations on another great button find. I look forward to seeing your stuff at tomorrow's meeting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread