Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Got back out today with my friend Chuck to continue digging and sifting in the early colonial pit we started last week. For those of you that don't know the background of this site and the results of the first dig please click on the link below to review my post from last week.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...pit-dig-finds-long-lots-pics.html#post3048848

We picked up right where we left off the last time as we had carefully marked the spot. As before, it was very difficult digging due to the tremendous quantity of oyster shells. Right after we had dug through the first thick layer of shells we unexpectedly ran into several large pottery shards coming out of the pit wall at about the 2.5 ft level. These and a few other smaller pieces belonged to a gorgeous mid-to-late 1600s delftware plate with beautiful blue and green pastel coloring. It was similar to pieces from a smaller plate I dug here 4 years ago in another section of the pit. It's very rare to dig pieces of pottery this old in the US, and even more so to find enough shards to do a nearly complete reconstruction which appears will be possible based on my initial efforts at putting the "puzzle" together. Once completed this amazing piece of pottery will become one of the highlights of my colonial curio and will take center stage among my best finds. Can't wait to finish it up and post the results. We also dug several nice pipe bowls as we did last time along with about 60 stems of varying lengths. One of the bowls is a great example of the bulbous shaped pipes which are quite early. In addition to those we came home with quite a few misc pottery shards and iron artifacts. No new colonial hoes to add to the 3 found last time, and I'm in the process of cleaning them up with electrolysis. Once I get all the finds cleaned from today's hunt, as well as finish the reconstruction job, I'll post an update. The pics include not just some of the better ,artifacts found but what the pit looked like during and after the hunt including my friend Chuck hard at work.

Attachments

• chuck in pit4.JPG
    chuck in pit4.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 140
  • 121312a.JPG
    121312a.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 133
  • chuck sifting.JPG
    chuck sifting.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 121312b.JPG
    121312b.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 121312c.JPG
    121312c.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 121312d.JPG
    121312d.JPG
    398 KB · Views: 129
  • 121312e.JPG
    121312e.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 121312f.JPG
    121312f.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 121312g.JPG
    121312g.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 121312h.JPG
    121312h.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 6

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice :-)

HH

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This post has to be one of the best ones I have seen in awhile. That plate would be the centerpiece of my collection, too. A-m-a-z-i-n-g! You are definitely my inspiration for trying this out. I am heading out tomorrow to a local farm. I still have to hunt another field that has potential.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Wow Bill, that plate will be stunning! Nice finds! I hope you guys somehow get back in there in the future.
-Evan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff~! Can you offer some tips on how to locate the pits?

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Delftware fragments,keep looking.I come across old delft pieces every once and a while in thrift stores.My best find is an eggcup in the shape of a chicken dated 1732,cost me 2 bucks:laughing9:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. That looks like fun !

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stuff~! Can you offer some tips on how to locate the pits?

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks BB. Send me your email address and I'll forward a pdf copy of an article I wrote a few years ago about how to find and dig out these pits. It's really hard work, but to me its more fun than detecting.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was once a beautiful plate Bill. I hope you can restore most of it.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those shards are hand painted a beautiful piece of history great digs . Jim

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like an archeological style dig with sifter for the non ferrous treasures we miss. That plate will be beautiful. Great post. Be sure to tamp that hole down good or the tractor will get stuck there every time. Have really enjoyed the last couple of hunts at this place. Nice saves on the history.
HH
TnMtns

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm in awe.Actually never quite knew how one dug out pits,very interesting and nice job on your finds.

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting Bill. I noticed that you mentioned you had authored an article re pit locating and digging. I have access to an antebellum plantation home in Louisiana and would love to do some pit digging there. Can one access and pull down your article on the web?
Many Thanks

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This post has to be one of the best ones I have seen in awhile. That plate would be the centerpiece of my collection, too. A-m-a-z-i-n-g! You are definitely my inspiration for trying this out. I am heading out tomorrow to a local farm. I still have to hunt another field that has potential.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

Thank you Kirk. I'm rooting for you to get yourself into a nice virgin colonial site soon. Good luck and keep us posted ..... Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread