kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt dig these but should have!!!:BangHead:

The bottom piece is a barrel that suffered an explosion.......bad muzzle jam I surmize...........
gun31_zpsf68628f8.jpg

gun2_zps02e0186b.jpg

Upvote 4
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch is right! That must have hurt when it happened. Like my mother used to say, "Be careful or you'll put an eye out."

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Kuger,

I had noticed what appeared to be a sight on the gun barrel, yet the features you described, as having a threaded end, for screwing into the gun breach, escaped my attention. The screw-barrel pistols were quite popular in the late 18th century and first half of the 19th century. There would be an octagon shape, or some other locking means of attaching a wrench, on the threaded end of the barrel. Also, considering the gun frame is missing, and with the massive blow-out in the barrel, it is doubtful enough force was expended to the rear, to blow the threaded breach and frame apart, I will venture that the barrel may have been removed before the burst occurred (The barrel wrenches for those pistols, would fit tightly, completely encircling the barrel, therefore, how could one fit a wrench over a blown barrel, for removal?). Very likely this was actually a "pipe bomb" charge, considering the various scenarios. :icon_thumright:

CC Hunter

Attachments

• 82-e.JPG
    82-e.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Mold Wrench.jpg
    Mold Wrench.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well may have been CC,your noted reasons a long with Bosn's tests,may support that as well.It appears this was the style that was Muzzle loaded (noting what I presume would be a ramrod guide?)and the barrel was unscrewed after or before the explosion?Not find any part of the rest of the weapon is a big clue as well.Thanks again!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread