granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a few hours with my brand new Minelab CTX 3030. I'm new to Minelab, so the sounds and numbers are foreign to me. I hunted most of the day in "Old Coins Old Site" mode, which I thought was appropriate for the land we were on (house built in 1830s). It's a target separation machine! Got hardly any junk too. Overall got 24 pennies (one wheatie, rest Lincolns), a couple other clad coins, and some relics including a headless horseman figurine (one day I'm sure he had his head).

Need help ID'ing this pin/button? It says "CARR FAST CO" on the reverse. I was able to find out they made knifes (Swiss Army style) during WWII, but can't find much else on this piece. When unearthed the plate looked silver color and the cross gold. Doesn't seem like noble metals, but it's not magnetic!

Here's a video of my first ever dig with the CTX, and below are pics:

oradell-clad.jpg

oradell-carr-fast-measured.jpg

oradell-carr-fast-separates.jpg

oradell-carr-fast-front.jpg

oradell-carr-fast-back.jpg

oradell-headless-horseman-2.jpg

oradell-headless-horseman-1.jpg

Upvote 2

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you did really well there for your first time out with a new machine. The Minelab machines can be difficult to get used if you're coming from another brand of detector. The relics you found are great--I'll bet there's still a lot of good stuff on that property. Best, Erik

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like somebody got himself a BIG christmas present.

I like the headless horseman...is he lead ?

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like somebody got himself a BIG christmas present.

I like the headless horseman...is he lead ?

I believe it is lead... I think I can bend the horse's head back into shape, but afraid to.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like sumbody was on the good list. lol. BIG jump from the 350! Good luck and CONGRATS.. HH

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grant, Congrats on the Minelab and your first finds. Your soldier appears to be WW1 long coat (winter) US Army Cavalry, but I can't find one "exactly" like him in my reference books. The paint job itself indicates a very meticulous person did the work, not the standard work of a toy factory of the era. He may have been a homemade soldier. Have fun with that new detector! Sub

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grant, Congrats on the Minelab and your first finds. Your soldier appears to be WW1 long coat (winter) US Army Cavalry, but I can't find one "exactly" like him in my reference books. The paint job itself indicates a very meticulous person did the work, not the standard work of a toy factory of the era. He may have been a homemade soldier. Have fun with that new detector! Sub

Thanks for the ID! Can you tell me how best to clean it? Or if I should even bother?

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good luck with mild dishwashing soap and warm water to clean painted objects. They used to use oil-based paints on soldiers, and it should withstand a gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush! Maybe his missing parts will be nearby where he was found? With my love for American made lead soldiers, I have yet to FIND one with my detector, ugh...

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good luck with mild dishwashing soap and warm water to clean painted objects. They used to use oil-based paints on soldiers, and it should withstand a gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush! Maybe his missing parts will be nearby where he was found? With my love for American made lead soldiers, I have yet to FIND one with my detector, ugh...

About 12 years ago in Clemson,S.C. while looking in a yard about 500 yrds from the Stadium I found under a tree about 25-30 WWI lead Soldiers, All within about 3-4 feet from each other........When the old Lady and I split I left them in A pan on the Back porch.........Learned later that there was probably a pretty penny left in that pan. I did'nt know that they were so collectable................................................HH

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunrunner61 said:
About 12 years ago in Clemson,S.C. while looking in a yard about 500 yrds from the Stadium I found under a tree about 25-30 WWI lead Soldiers, All within about 3-4 feet from each other........When the old Lady and I split I left them in A pan on the Back porch.........Learned later that there was probably a pretty penny left in that pan. I did'nt know that they were so collectable................................................HH

That stinks! Now you'll just have to find some more!

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to be out there with you on your 1st hunt with your new weapon. We cherrypicked in the allotted time. Now it's time to go back and skim the next layer, where the good stuff is. The headless horseman is cool--I'm staying only a few miles from Sleepy Hollow as I write this!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any first thoughts on using the new detector, it makes some interesting sounds. Best of success on the next hunts.....63bkpkr

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like the post. like most folks, I want that machine.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Any new machine has a learning curve, and it looks like you did just fine on your first outing.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any first thoughts on using the new detector, it makes some interesting sounds. Best of success on the next hunts.....63bkpkr

My first thoughts?

1. It's a king at target separation. Really amazing.

2. I really have to learn more about how to use it property!

I went out in my backyard for about 45 minutes today. It's covered in about an inch of snow and I was digging anything that was repeatable. I pretty much knew which would be junk, which was just about everything. One piece has me intrigued and I have to clean it a bit more to see if there's any detail on it. It was buried a few inches under a patio brick.

mystery1.jpg

mystery2.jpg

mystery3.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grant,
Thank you for the input and yes as you knew before you purchased the machine there will be the new owner learning curve but it sure sounds like that machine will do wonders for you. I believe you will have fun with it!!

That piece of metal reminds me of some type of simple clamp maybe for pipes either that or its a spear hold down off of a Roman Chariot, just a guess......63bkpkr

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with that machine. The odd pin is actually a adjuster for the old swimming caps I have found lots of them in NJ. Here is a link to some pictures of some there are a few variations.
1950s Kleinert's Flower Petals Rubber Swim Cap | Shop | Kaboodle

Interesting! Thanks for the ID. I haven't been able to find any attributed to CARR FAST CO, but will keep looking. And, I think it goes without staying, us New Jersey folk are very stylish, on both land and sea.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grant,
Thank you for the input and yes as you knew before you purchased the machine there will be the new owner learning curve but it sure sounds like that machine will do wonders for you. I believe you will have fun with it!!

That piece of metal reminds me of some type of simple clamp maybe for pipes either that or its a spear hold down off of a Roman Chariot, just a guess......63bkpkr

My first instinct was pipe clamp too. My grandfather built and lived in the house I'm in now, and he was a metalsmith, which makes detecting my backyard quite a challenge. Lots of scrap metal!

Another night of insomnia last night lead to me reading a lot of the ctx manual. I think it's good that I went out before I read it, as I now have some "a ha's" that I can go back and try. I think if I read through it first the importance of each tidbit wouldn't have sunk in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread