granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday with friends NJLARGECENT and ERIKINNJ as witnesses. It's pretty toasted, but I think I've matched it to a King George II Half Penny.

I can make out a best in certain lighting. Having a hard time capturing that lighting/contrast on camera. Anyone got any tips?? Would love to post what I actually see. I have a good digital SLR.

Below is a Photoshop progression... first image is as is, no work done. Second is at 90% opacity where I matched the curve and spike to the bust's head as well as angle of the nose. Last image is 80% opacity. Last image is what I used as a comparison. As I overlay in Photoshop, it really reveals the outline I see with my naked eye (except for the words, which I can't see any of). And oh yes, it's 27mm diameter. Reverse is unrecognizable. More detective work to come!

I'll post other finds from the day later (flat buttons, bell, etc.). Good stuff!

george-half-penny-fade-progression.jpg

george-half-penny-fade-orig.jpg

Upvote 7

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep that's a Geo II. That's how they typically look when I dig them - toasted.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,
you lucky bum
what detector had the honors
and was it just a wisp-our.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Yep that's a Geo II. That's how they typically look when I dig them - toasted.

Have you ever been a me to get more detail out of them? Or shall I no or it in its present toasty state?

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
Wow,
you lucky bum
what detector had the honors
and was it just a wisp-our.

Found it with my CTX 3030. Was a very solid hit, a out 6 inches down. My pinpoint was off thanks to a rusty nail so I had to go into the sidewall.

I'm still getting used to the machine and pretty much dig all hits except iron or rust. Although I'm getting used to what rings up as foil and pull tabs I don't want to miss anything good.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever been a me to get more detail out of them? Or shall I no or it in its present toasty state?

I think you should be able to get more detail out of that one. You could try rubbing it between your finger and thumb with a wet baking soda paste, then soaking it in mineral oil.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should be able to get more detail out of that one. You could try rubbing it between your finger and thumb with a wet baking soda paste, then soaking it in mineral oil.

Thanks Steve. I was planning a baking soda rub, and was fortunate to be in CVS when your last message came in and so I picked up some mineral oil. How long do you generally let it soak?

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great Hald Penny ! ...congrats ! :thumbsup:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve. I was planning a baking soda rub, and was fortunate to be in CVS when your last message came in and so I picked up some mineral oil. How long do you generally let it soak?

You don't have to let it soak very long for the oil to penetrate and coat. Ten or fifteen minutes or overnight, it doesn't matter. The coin will be darker, but I personally don't have a problem with that.

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to be there to witness it! I knew there had to be coppers at that site. Hope the soak nets you more details.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Steve - I've never heard of that method for cleaning coppers. Does the baking soda paste scratch the coin or damage it in any way? I've used mineral oil before, and it darkens the coin much like olive oil except maybe not as bad. If you have any before and after pics where you used your method please post. Thanks.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to let it soak very long for the oil to penetrate and coat. Ten or fifteen minutes or overnight, it doesn't matter. The coin will be darker, but I personally don't have a problem with that.

Thanks Steve! I just rubbed baking soda paste (home made mix) for a few minutes and some of the hard to get green crud is coming off. I'll work on it a bit more tomorrow as I'm already revealing more detail. Then once I'm satisfied I'll give it a soak.

It also worked wonders on a hard to clean Indian Head. Hot peroxide took off most the dirt, but some stubborn spots weren't coming off. This did the trick. But didn't work on my 2 cent. Can't seen to get the last bit of dirt off it. But considering I had no idea what it was when I pulled it out of the ground, it's come a long way.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to be there to witness it! I knew there had to be coppers at that site. Hope the soak nets you more details.

That made it even more special to me.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve - I've never heard of that method for cleaning coppers. Does the baking soda paste scratch the coin or damage it in any way? I've used mineral oil before, and it darkens the coin much like olive oil except maybe not as bad. If you have any before and after pics where you used your method please post. Thanks.

Bill, this was my first go at it myself. Seems to be doing pretty good!

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find. Hope it cleans up well for ya.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill, the baking soda is a light abrasive that I use to clean coins that have little monetary value. On a copper it will remove some of the green vertigris and will lighten the high spots on the coin so that they contrast better with the darker recessed areas. I often use it on Spanish silver because, seriously, what is a half real worth, $10-15? I don't have any before and after examples of Copper coins, but I can show you some before and after on silver. Of course I wouldn't do that with a Draped Bust dime! Here is a worn 1761 two reale that was dark and tarnished (before) that I wanted to brighten up some (after).

Attachments

• 1761 Two Reale back.jpg
    1761 Two Reale back.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 1761 back - clean.jpg
    1761 back - clean.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 131

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, the baking soda is a light abrasive that I use to clean coins that have little monetary value. On a copper it will remove some of the green vertigris and will lighten the high spots on the coin so that they contrast better with the darker recessed areas. I often use it on Spanish silver because, seriously, what is a half real worth, $10-15? I don't have any before and after examples of Copper coins, but I can show you some before and after on silver. Of course I wouldn't do that with a Draped Bust dime! Here is a worn 1761 two reale that was dark and tarnished (before) that I wanted to brighten up some (after).

Steve - I don't put baking soda on silver as it seems to give it a fakey, bright shine. But I guess if you did it very lightly it might be OK. Instead I use a little light electrolysis, then the black tarnish just rubs right off between your thumb and forefinger. And sometime I leave as is since the tarnish can give it a little character. But I'm beginning to notice that a number of my silver pieces in my display case are starting to tarnish just from exposure to the air. I may have to touch them up before long. I may practice your method on an old copper too and see what it does.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking good brother! It was great watching you pull that coin out of the ground almost as soon as I arrived at the site! It was a fun day--thanks to you and James for the kind invite and good company. Looking forward to posting my finds for the day...was an interesting site that still holds more goodies.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After last night's baking soda, I did about an hour of hot peroxide this morning. So far so good. Still nothing dramatic, but little by little more detail is coming out. I'll update with pics tonight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread