SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's hunt with Dan produces 2 more colonial coins

Due to the holiday Dan and I got out for a rare weekday hunt. We only had about half a day so we decided to do a bit of roaming around the property in search of another hotspot. We never really found what we were looking for, but did make a few finds in the process. My day started out quickly with a nice looking 1773 VA halfpenny in the first 30 minutes. But things cooled down after that with only the occasional button or buckle part. Near the end of the hunt Dan and I both had mentioned that we had dug small silver gilted buttons that we thought might have been coins at first glance. This morning when I was cleaning my finds it became evident that my little silver button was very likely a colonial coin. It was very thin with no evidence of a shank, and it had some of that black tarnish that we typically find on the old silver. And it had the right "clinking sound" when you dropped it on the table, just like a hammered coin would. I can't guarantee for sure that's what I have, but I believe it may be an Elizabeth I silver penny. It measures about 14 mm, and when I checked on the UK finds database they had several of these that were identical in size. So that's what I'm thinking it might be, although maybe Crusader or others can verify. Appreciate any help with the ID.

Attachments

• 012113a.JPG
    012113a.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 012113b.JPG
    012113b.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 012113c.JPG
    012113c.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 9
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
could it be a silver 3 cent piece? Or would it not make sense finding one at this site? i believe those are also 14mm...

Its possible I guess, but we've found almost no relics or coins from that era at this site. Nearly everything is pre-1800, and a lot of it is 1600s stuff. With hammered coins being found here its more likely to be a silver penny than a 3 cent piece, although Crusader did make an excellent point about Lizzies never being perfectly round. So who really knows?? One thing I am sure about it that its silver.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Canadian half dime is very thin and 15mm diameter.. Found 5 when I lived in Toronto. also known as 'fish scales' Tony US dime in the center for scale.

View attachment 730187

If you used to live in Canada I'm sure you'll have an appreciation for this coin. Its the only Canadian silver I've ever dug, and apparently its extremely rare. Do you know anything about it?

1875dime.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its possible I guess, but we've found almost no relics or coins from that era at this site. Nearly everything is pre-1800, and a lot of it is 1600s stuff. With hammered coins being found here its more likely to be a silver penny than a 3 cent piece, although Crusader did make an excellent point about Lizzies never being perfectly round. So who really knows?? One thing I am sure about it that its silver.

It is silver & it was a coin. Milled coins occurred in Germany over a hundred years before the UK, so quite a few options. if you had just a few letters or a faint outline we may have a chance. I would still bet large amounts that its NOT a hammered coin.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is in really nice shape Bill, Canada was only 8 years old when that was made, a real beauty it is.
Well done,
ZDD

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Other then agreeing with the milled coin odservation I have nothing else to add...sorry. I just found a silver three cent this week and I dont think it is one of those either. Can you post close ups of both sides?

Good luck on IDing the mystery coin.

NJ

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds, keep it up!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest: