what the heck !!!

joecherry

Dec 27, 2012
central illinois
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just messin around in my side yard with my "BOUNTY HUNTER TRACKER IV"(i know lame, but im ordering the platinum soon. and actually i LOVE my tracker 4, me and her understand each other) but we had a good thaw in my area and i found a 1847 large cent with a hole drilled in it about four inches in the dirt!!!!! and i also found a copper or brass medallion from the "LION BUGGY COMPANY" looked it up seems to be fairly old and is in near perfect shape!!!

i have got a fisftull of wheat pennies about 20$ in modern clad some vintage hotwheels, some cool vintage pop tops, a tiny silver ring, and a cheap-o ring....
and guess what?
STILL NO SILVER COINS!!!!!!! i have probably dug upwards of 500 keepers including my clad. No silv yet. maybe the people in my area were just too tight to drop it. :p
spent hours crawling around looking for their sitting liberty half dime they dropped just so i wouldnt find it 100+ years later.

im beginning to question the existance of the silver coin :'(

and that these guys i see who pull silv after silv after silv are just simply my hallucinations :)

Upvote 1

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work on the large cent!! Silver is just hard to come by - I've probably found about 15 or 20 large cents and much less silver from that era. BUT if you are finding 1800s coinage and wheaties then there's probably some silver there. Keep looking, once you find one I'm sure they'll start coming in greater numbers!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may be destined to just skip silver coins and go straight to gold ones

OP
OP
J

joecherry

Dec 27, 2012
central illinois
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Thanks for the encouragement and i hope youre right!
just weird how the odds work out ya know :p
all that clad and no dimes or quarters pre 1964.
and i have now added a large cent over 150 years old and a buggy advertisement medallion probably close to that age as well !
btw the size of that penny really caught me off guard its the size of a quarter and a good deal heavier.
it shows how much the value of a cent has changed over the years, now our pennies much smaller, the metal is much cheaper, and they just feel generic !!!

OP
OP
J

joecherry

Dec 27, 2012
central illinois
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey hey jewelerguy i hope your right!
a nice gold bracelet would be great i sure could use a new minelab etrac. screw that bounty hunter platinum ;)

kevo rn

Jan 28, 2013
Good job! I haven't found ANY barber or Roosevelt coins but ivefound several seated coins. I've actually found more old silver than I have new silver. Unfortunately those numbers aren't high lol. I'd love to see a pic of the large cent. They are beautiful. Well done!!

smf399

Aug 7, 2012
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just messin around in my side yard with my "BOUNTY HUNTER TRACKER IV"(i know lame, but im ordering the platinum soon. and actually i LOVE my tracker 4, me and her understand each other) but we had a good thaw in my area and i found a 1847 large cent with a hole drilled in it about four inches in the dirt!!!!! and i also found a copper or brass medallion from the "LION BUGGY COMPANY" looked it up seems to be fairly old and is in near perfect shape!!!

i have got a fisftull of wheat pennies about 20$ in modern clad some vintage hotwheels, some cool vintage pop tops, a tiny silver ring, and a cheap-o ring....
and guess what?
STILL NO SILVER COINS!!!!!!! i have probably dug upwards of 500 keepers including my clad. No silv yet. maybe the people in my area were just too tight to drop it. :p
spent hours crawling around looking for their sitting liberty half dime they dropped just so i wouldnt find it 100+ years later.

im beginning to question the existance of the silver coin :'(

and that these guys i see who pull silv after silv after silv are just simply my hallucinations :)

I used to think that to. But one day I saw that silver rim and after that it was just silver after silver.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just stay at it, it'll turn.

A side question if I may, does your "E & R" keys work correctly? Or are you buying into that show garbage?

HH!

OP
OP
J

joecherry

Dec 27, 2012
central illinois
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stay at it, it'll turn.

A side question if I may, does your "E & R" keys work correctly? Or are you buying into that show garbage?

HH!
i hope youre right, that seems to be what everyone says so fingers crossed.
definately buying into that show garbage :)
im not too sure why either ?haha but i wouldnt have recognized my large cent without it ;p

and yes i will have to photograph it! i would also like some input on my medallion. i found some advertising stick pens from the "lion buggy co."from the late 1800s but no medallions...hmm rare possibly?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joecherry

Dec 27, 2012
central illinois
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job! I haven't found ANY barber or Roosevelt coins but ivefound several seated coins. I've actually found more old silver than I have new silver. Unfortunately those numbers aren't high lol. I'd love to see a pic of the large cent. They are beautiful. Well done!!

im on it ill do the best 8 mega pixels can do !

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4 years Hunting here and Only 1 Silver Coin a Merc Hh Chug

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep swinging and the silver will appear! What sort of sites do you hunt?

OP
OP
J

joecherry

Dec 27, 2012
central illinois
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

maaannn i just took so much time getting pictures it is saying file is too large? :dontknow:
that sucks i got great pictures of it...want to use one of em for my profile pic hope i can

Attachments

• SANY4935.JPG
    SANY4935.JPG
    862 KB · Views: 165
  • SANY4938.JPG
    SANY4938.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 163
OP
OP
J

joecherry

Dec 27, 2012
central illinois
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are the only pictures that worked i tried seven different ones that one is the back to my lion buggy company pendant.

and no those arent my jeans thats my girlfriend shes the only one who could get a good pic.

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought the same thing when I had my tracker 4. But the truth is, I thought I hunted out every house on my street but when I got my teknetics, I went to the same houses and I found so many more silver coins at the same houses at my street that I had thought I "hunted out". it's out there!
Good luck

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you are doing well, keep digging the signals and the silver will come.
I had to play with my tracker IV a little with different silver coins to get it dialed in. but I have found silver with it.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a stickpin haveing a lions face on it from Lion buggy company .On the back of the pin it says Cincinnati, Ohio. I live near there.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were easy, everyone would do it. It will come or you will give up, which first?

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to put it into perspective. How often in life have you found a spare coin in a parkinglot, or even a dollar bill. Now how often have you found a $20 bill/note in a parkinglot. Folks tended to have more of the lesser, and less of the more valuable. Likewise folks tend to remember where they left a $20 bill (silver coin) compared to a dollar bill (penny).

With that being said, there is also the fact that luck plays a part and research another. If you are at a site that has been previously dug, the higher tones might have been cherry picked. In the end if you put yourself on enough of the right sites (that are fairly untouched) the odds will tilt in ones favor.

Then again, I have a lot of items that I could not believe how long it took me to dig, meanwhile guys left and right were finding them.

Great finds!

Dan

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six years and no Rosie's or Merc's. One barber, one Seated, two halves (silver), two quarters newer silver. That's it for the silver coinage. It's there and we will find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread