Found this gold indian princess dollar in an old jewelry box of my great grandfather.

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I found this today in my great grandfathers jewelry box and was wondering what in the world its worth since its been turned into a charm. I dont have a gold kit to test it but he had a ton of gold rings and jewelry in his box as well. I hope this is authentic and have no reason to think otherwise but would like an experts opinion. It is marked with 1862 and says it is a one dollar coin. Its really small as well. I hope the pictures are okay.

Thanks

Attachments

• Scan 2.jpeg
    Scan 2.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 506
  • Scan 3.jpeg
    Scan 3.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 974
  • Scan 4.jpeg
    Scan 4.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,153
Upvote 1

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian head gold dollar.very nice

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks real to me:icon_thumright:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice looks like the real thing
If you have a metal detector see where the coin hits on your machine ....then in the field hunt those sounds/numbers/icon.
Gary

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice
thumbup.gif
Congratulations
clapping.gif

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one !

An 1862 in Very Fine condition has a baseline price of $225 in the Red Book. You could probably expect to get a bit more than that if you sold it.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI - 1 dollar gold coins are really small and look more like toys but they are real. As yours was used as a charm/necklace it has seen very little wear and is in really nice condition. Great Grandpa had a good eye.............63bkpkr

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At todays price of 1666.90 an oz, 80.62 is the scrap value. which is around what most will give you since it looks to have that eyelet soldered on it.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the real deal to me. It's a shame the eyelet is soldered on, but a good jeweler could probably remove it, and leave the edge looking pretty good.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wonderful, beautiful! Notice that sale value as collector's item is lots more than melt value, but as your lovely gold coin is a family heirloom you'll most likely keep it. If you have a sunny window at the rear of your house/apartment, nice to hang it in the window and see it daily gleaming in the sun! But not if it faces the public eye! What a super discovery! My dad had some older gold coins saved but like many during the 1930's USA depression, he had to sell them. But he kept some old silver coins for his daughters to have. HH Andi

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe people are talking scrap value, it is a piece of history and is one of my favorite gold coins. Many smaller gold coins were made into jewelry, some holed. Even the way it is it is worth good money. This is on my top to get list of gold coins. The $3 Indian princess coin is more rare but they are both fantastic. When I see these old gold coins I can only imagine the things they traded hands for. I would wear it or look into having the ring removed by a jewler. I like how the older gold coins all had beautiful women on them, now it's dead presidents, lol. As far as value, Ebayers would pay good money for it even with the ring on it- I would never sell it if I were you.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, don't use a gold test kit- ANY ACID TEST WILL RUIN IT'S VALUE, only acid test stuff that is to be scrap. The best test to do is drop it on a small digital scale and if it's 1.6720 grams(.0484 oz.), It's real- to the best of my knowledge these weren't faked like silver dollars and Saint Gaudens.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would keep the coin and wear! Great find! The"dead presidents" would turn over in there graves if they knew we were using their profiles on today's money. It was decreed by our forefathers that all coinage have the "lady liberty" depicted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread