Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lakemonster and I hunted a small town elementary school on Saturday.....did fairly well. Just a few days before, Lakemonster found that 1914 German ring with the inscription (something like) "Germany fears nothing, but, God." Here is a link to a ring like he found: Objektdatenbank des Stadtgeschichtlichen Museums Leipzig -

Anyway, my second target was real jumpy.....low 30's to high 80's and about 7 inches down. About 8 or 9 inches down my pointer started singing on the side of the hole at about 6 inches and with a little scratching, I come up with an ancient artifact: aluminus poptopicus. I was bummed.....until I ran my F75 back over the hole. Now the higher reading comes back! A little more digging and the pointer goes crazy, so, I take out a chunk with my plastic scoop...putting me down about 9 to 10 inches. My target is out of the hole and then I spot a large, very clean brown disc? It looks rather like copper, but, no green patina......very clean and very smooth. A little blue Gatorade and a light brushing with a soft toothbrush and 1863 shows up like a big marquee!! I didn't know what it was, but, Lakemonster was quick to see it as a British One Penny! In Texas!! Found about 40 feet from where the ring was dug. (No, it doesn't have the "3" under the date, but, that's okay.....it's older than me!!)

penceF.jpg penceO.jpg

Upvote 4

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find, in texas huh ? i didn't know we ran them that far west in the war

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find. HH

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I was going through the clad finds and other junk picked up in the same hunt, I found a 1948 Rosie. It was so black and dirty I couldn't see the date on it until it was cleaned a bit. It still doesn't look like silver, but, I know it is. I find it odd how some silver comes out of the ground as clean as it went in and some just seem to collect crud. Difference in soil content? Lakemonster picked up a 1962 silver quarter that came out perfectly clean about 60' from where this dime was dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread