XX Crossed two items off my logging camp bucket list!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck was on my side this week....I found the log stamping hammer yesterday and if that wasn't exciting enough I got home and started looking through my books remembering a few photos of local log butt markings. I didn't find my stamp on the end of any logs, but to my shock I found a photo of what could be my hammer in the hands of a logger taken 100 years ago by a famous local photographer Darius Kinsey. The photo says. "Fir log, nine feet in diameter, on logging trucks at landing."
I'm sure a company had multiple stamp hammers and my stamp may not be the one in the photo, but It's still neat to know this stamp made it's mark on many Grandaddy Fir and cedar. Aside from a couple I.D. tags this is my only find directly related to the company.
The other bucket list find was a men's ring I found it sifting along with the comb. I believe the ring is green celluloid and has no markings. The comb is hard rubber from the "The Butler hard rubber company"

Attachments

• P2140011.JPG
    P2140011.JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 554
  • P2140014.JPG
    P2140014.JPG
    620.6 KB · Views: 1,359
  • P2140005.JPG
    P2140005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 630
  • P2140004.JPG
    P2140004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 584
  • P2140019.JPG
    P2140019.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 592
Upvote 17

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!!! it is cool that you were able to find a pic aswell!

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Highnam:

Nice finds..those stamping hammers are hard to find. I know of a few logging camps here in pa and found some good stuff as well.

I was lucky enough to come across a hammer. It was just luck. IMG_2307.JPG

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awsome find and to have an old pic of it to.way to go

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a Tree-mendous find!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is cool!!!!

I took a friend to hunt a property that through extensive research had learned a very prominent Officer in an influencial Regiment,had built and resided in the house and he also homesteaded the land as his Cattle ranch.As luck would have it my friend dug the guys cattle brand!!

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find highnam

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can practically kill yourself digging large iron hits in logging camps. Every once in a while a hole makes it all worth while. Awesome story Kuger, hope your buddy appreciates the find as much as you would have.
Doug of PA...sweet hammer find, you would think the stamping man would take his job serious enough to be careful not to leave his tool around to be lost. I read that unmarked logs were auctioned off at the mill to the highest bidder!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can practically kill yourself digging large iron hits in logging camps. Every once in a while a hole makes it all worth while. Awesome story Kuger, hope your buddy appreciates the find as much as you would have.
Doug of PA...sweet hammer find, you would think the stamping man would take his job serious enough to be careful not to leave his tool around to be lost. I read that unmarked logs were auctioned off at the mill to the highest bidder!

......he gave it away!!!!

Your right,diggin iron is that way,ya just never know when a gun is gonna be layin there though!Gotta dig iron.Your find and picture is just priceless!!!WTG!!!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a really cool find.. Will make a great display piece.. Congrats.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was swinging a coil in the location of a gypo mill and bunkhouse here locally. Didn't find a log brand. I was hoping for some coins around the bunkhouse, and perhaps an ox shoe or two, but with no luck. Did find some chunks of iron, some old hand forged chain, and some really big horse shoes along with lots of other iron chunks in all sorts of shapes. Congrats on the finding the log brand and photo combination, I think that's awesome. You know those boys were standing on spring boards when they sawed that monster down. Back when I was gainfully employed and putting my money into social security instead of taking it out, a friend was driving a log truck, and hauling off Burnt Mountain on one trip he was over height, over weight, over width and over length, loaded with one log. There are still Doug Fir trees that big on the mountain.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How lucky are we to have had a photographer like Kinsey...for many years he dedicated most of his time capturing images of the Pacific Northwest logging at the turn of the century. Can you image lugging that camera with all the glass plates? So thankful he did, nobody else was doing it.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
logging_1.jpeg
Campbell River Museum

nobody else was doing it.

Hey highnam,

I think you might be surprised at the number of photographers that were documenting lumbering history. Certainly none with the single minded purpose and artistry of Kinsey, but thankfully there are photos aplenty. Engage your googler and you can visit the logging camps of Maine, tour the south, zip up to Michigan and Wisconsin and then head westward...

logging-camp_right-res1.jpg

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thats good stuff man! I once saw a photo of soldiers around their hut sites in Belle Plains Virginia 1862 and being very familiar with the land around here I noticed that I knew exactly where that photo was taken place and went there the next day to find a lot of hut sites all because of the photo. Some great stuff you found Good job! :occasion14:

This was the photo of the camp site I found in Belle Plains it was the 150th Pennsylvania Infantry camp, the camp was really odd layout for being on the hills like that, but come to find out a lot of the units had camps on hill sides like these and not on the much flatter ground. Anyhow you can learn a lot from photos.

Attachments

• belle plains.jpg
    belle plains.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thats good stuff man! I once saw a photo of soldiers around their hut sites in Belle Plains Virginia 1862 and being very familiar with the land around here I noticed that I knew exactly where that photo was taken place and went there the next day to find a lot of hut sites all because of the photo. Some great stuff you found Good job! :occasion14:

This was the photo of the camp site I found in Belle Plains it was the 150th Pennsylvania Infantry camp, the camp was really odd layout for being on the hills like that, but come to find out a lot of the units had camps on hill sides like these and not on the much flatter ground. Anyhow you can learn a lot from photos.
Awesome photo... What a score to know where the pic was taken. Photos are such a wonderful resource...I'm always amazed to go back to a photo and see something I hadn't seen the first few times.
Surf- the pic of the horse in the undercut is incredible! I must admit I haven't researched much outside of Washington State...look what I've been missing,

BigTonyB

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
New Hill, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's an amazing find and the photo history is icing on the cake! Congratulations, Highnam!

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's an amazing find and the photo history is icing on the cake! Congratulations, Highnam!
Thanks big Tone, guess I need to thank the logger for pointing that stamp directly at the camera, viewing the pic from the naked eye you can only see he's holding a handled object, when I viewed the photo with a magnifying glass I panned down the handle and nearly choked... What are the odds? I can't find any other photos from the turn of century with a visible stamping hammer. Anyone that knows of one I'd love to see it.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ow that awesome and to have an old pic with it in there is just amazing, congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread