SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Group pic of recent colonial silver finds - updated

Thought it would be a good time to reflect on the surprising success I've had so far this year, and take a group portrait of my colonial silver finds for this season thus far. Things started out "reale" slow in the Fall, but have quickly ramped up in recent weeks with 12 more early coins from just 2 new sites. All of my colonial silver is on the smallish side but I'm definitely not complaining. And as is usually the case here in VA, cut pieces are predominant with a few cobs thrown in for good measure. I was able to dig a couple of unique items too - one was part of a 1731 French Isle du Vent 12 sols coin, and the other a rare Commonwealth penny from the reign of Oliver Cromwell in the mid-1600s. And along the way I was able to score a few pieces of newer silver which are shown in the 2nd pic. Also included in this shot are an early silver watch winder part and silver cufflink, along with a St Christopher piece I found just last week. My hunting partners Dan and Ina (Sanddigger) have also done extremely well this season, and I've had a blast hunting with them. Dan dug what are probably the 2 best finds for the season with his Lizzie hammereds. And Ina has been killing it with her new AT Pro with quite a few cut pieces and cobs. Also, I need to point out that my finds have come as a result of putting in many more hours in the fields than my 2 partners, which makes their finds even that much more impressive. Anyway, glad we're all having success with the early finds this year, and hope our string of good fortune continues during the remaining weeks before the fields are planted and we're relegated to water hunting . HH ..... Bill

Update: I forgot the SL quarter and barber half I found back in Nov. Added those in the last pic.

Attachments

• 2013 colonial silver.JPG
    2013 colonial silver.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 460
  • 2103 misc silver.JPG
    2103 misc silver.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 437
  • 110212f.JPG
    110212f.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Upvote 18

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!! 2013 likes you so far:thumbsup:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Wow. Can someone help me pick my jaw up?

Actually... Don't... I want to keep drooling a little longer

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pictures speak for themselves. Hope the rest of the year is just as kind to you.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha ha Bill, great post for such a cold day. Have had fun doing it, can't compete with the quantity with my one day a week digging, but I am doing my best to try

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I bet that every time You pull a Rosevelt Dime from one of your older sites, your heart does a small side step. Incredible results so far this season:notworthy:

VPR

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ha ha Bill, great post for such a cold day. Have had fun doing it, can't compete with the quantity with my one day a week digging, but I am doing my best to try

Dan - if you were getting out as much as I have you would have absolutely buried me by now with the silver finds. Both you and Ina have had extremely impressive seasons considering the limited amount of hunting time you've put in. Hope we all continue the successes we've had this year. See ya soon.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an amazing start to the year. I can't imagine what your year end finds will be like if the first 6 weeks is any indication. I'd love to see the other side of that silver button/cuff link. I found a similar one at one of my colonial sites.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an amazing start to the year. I can't imagine what your year end finds will be like if the first 6 weeks is any indication. I'd love to see the other side of that silver button/cuff link. I found a similar one at one of my colonial sites.

Here's the pic you requested. I think these are relatively common as I remember finding one or 2 others in the past. Is this one the same as yours?

silver cufflink.JPG

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• P1020042.JPG
    P1020042.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 153
  • P1020045.JPG
    P1020045.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 147

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome SO FAR, Bill. Still early in the year!

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
Not that is a group of the most awesome finds I have seen in quite awhile. What a great bunch of History! Thanks for posting and tell Ina that Diane from N.J. said hello!

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
You have found more Spanish silver in less than two months than I have in a couple of years...and I live in Spain!!
Congratulations!!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds, you and Dan are just knocking it out of the park.
Well done,
ZDD

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still early in the year and you already done awesome. Way to go.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Silver...........for your viewing pleasure 8-)

Thanks again Bill........my favorite is still the hammered cache group shot :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread