A Couple of Wheaties, and 2 Mercs....

Rowdy Yates

Nov 15, 2006
Coulterville, California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I read in the newspaper about an old house that had burned over the holidays....it had been abandoned for some time and was known to have recently housed some homeless, but it was built pre-1900 (perhaps 1860s).

Anyway, yesterday I got restless and had to check it out. When I got there, a nice older gentleman arrived at about the same time. Turns out his family lived in the house in the 1950s and 60s. He was there to take pictures and said his mother had lost her wedding ring in the backyard, so I definately had to check it out. I offered to give him the ring if I found it, but he didn't seem interested. About the same time, the Fire Department showed up, I guess they had to check to see if they had truly put the fire all the way out from a few days ago. ::)

So after everyone had left, I started out in the backyard. After about a half an hour, I didn't find the ring, or anything else good for that matter. So I headed out under a huge Pepper Tree in the front yard, found a 1918s and 1944s wheaties, a 1945s Merc., and perhaps a late 40s, early 50s tiny, pink Mercury with metal wheels, etc. (or maybe a Ford or a Buick?) ???

I was there for only about an hour, the 1918 wheatie is a good age indicater, so I'm probably going back tomorrow! ;)

Rick

Attachments

• DSC01182.JPG
    DSC01182.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 0

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Great Finds!

My hunting buddy and I went to a historic house (1800's) here in town that had burnt down. The house is still fenced off and we asked the owner for permission to detect. He said have a good time ;D I asked him if anyone else had asked permission to detect and he said that we were the first.....Wooohhhoooo ;D

So, We got our detectors and started swinging away in the back yard. While looking down at the ground I saw something :o, holes in the ground and plugs everywhere. Needless to say we were bummed out. We swang for about an hour at the site, but someone beat us there and hunted without permission. They didn't even fill thier holes back up. Trespassing and then they have the nerve to leave holes in the ground also, I don't understand people sometime :'(

We walked away with a few old nails......Bummer!

Sorry to steal the thread with my rant.....Nice finds!

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
what kind of meathead wouldnt even bother to flip the plug back in the hole. thats ridiculous. probably all their junk finds laying all over also. :(

hey nice coins rowdy! must be nice to be able to find all those rare S mint coins!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Car and love the Car. I'd go back to that site and really hunt it. Slow way down and dig all signals, bad or good.

HH,Ringfinder

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

HH

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
A merc and a wheatie that old.............go back there and find the rest bro!.........congrats.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Rowdy. I hope you find that ring on your next trip out there.

LeJeuene

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread