MONSTER GOLD!!!

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this puppy today. It amazes me how a metal detector works. This came across with just a slightest hum. 9 out of 10 times I wouldn't even bother to dig a signal like that ( not after today). Also it was only buried 3-4 Inches. It's also killing me it's a class ring(10k), I know I should do the right thing and try to track down the original owner. Enjoy!!

Attachments

• image-4025948864.jpg
    image-4025948864.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 14

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really nice!!!
Jim

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. what is the year on the ring?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find,nice weight!!

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome class ring! Maybe you'll get lucky and not be able to find the owner. lol
I've found 5 and I still have them all.
Our local newpaper used to have a free lost n found and now they want us to pay for an ad. Oh well.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Sounds like you'll do the right thing to try and find the owner. There are better ways to find the owner of class ring than a "Lost and Found" newspaper ad...in fact I doubt anyone would have much of a chance in finding the owner of a ring by taking out and ad in the local paper, free or not. As others have posted, I would think that contacting the school directly would be the way to go :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely ring! I've a class ring I've never been able to locate the owner of and it bugs me as I'd really like to find the lady and give her the ring back as I suspect it means a lot to her. I know I've tried but I do not feel right still having the ring. What you decide is up to you but I'd think about having a positive continence by at least trying, just my thought.............63bkpkr

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a chunk of gold...about $400 scrap value...congrats...good luck deciding what to do with it...returning rings leaves me with a great feeling.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right now, it's about 385 bucks melt value. no doubt the owner would love to have it back. the smile on their face and the feeling in your heart is certainly worth the monetary value of the ring. I returned one to one of my classmates years ago after he got drunk and fell into a pond. I recovered it a year later when the pond was going dry from drought. I surprised him by placing it in his hand. It was priceless. Unfortunately, a short time after that some woman he let live with him for a while evidently stole it when she moved out.

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunk of gold !

OP
OP
Jdett411

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I didn't even realize its true size til I got back in my car. I was thinking 10-12 grams. 18g blew me away. I mostly likely will feel guilt if I don't put an effort into finding the owner. Any suggestions on how to find them? The school name is on it and there's initials too. It's a class 1971.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are able to return it. Its a fantastic feeling to do so. In 1971 the average gold price was $41.17 per ounce.

H

Holly_squirrel

Are there initials on it? First thing to do is call the school, they might possibly have some sort of records or the company that made the ring could.. But I understand the bummer of having to hand it to somebody who may run right to a jewler and scrap it. What can I say , Im a realist. But for your mind sake, you should make some attempt to locate the owner .

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would contact the school and see if they can help (my friends who have found class rings and returned them have gone this route), or you can go to some of the school related sites that people register for (Classmates.com or facebook pages for some schools) and see if any graduates have matching initials for the year in question. The person would be about 60 years old this year.

Returning it, if possible, would be my route. Seeing the look of happiness on their face would be worth the money to me.

Good luck at finding the owner, if that is the route you decide to take!!

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes doing the right thing is hard but I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around. Returning this one may bring on the ring with a large stone in it. Never know. You can contact the school and try to get a roster of the students from that year and try to track them that way. Who knows, maybe they are really wealthy now an will pass along a large reward for your honesty. I also think the joy on their face would be worth it. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find a lost class ring for a gentleman that is 75 years old now. I have kind of made it a mission to retrieve this ring for him before it's too late. Congrats on the find. Glad it was a good learning experience with your machine.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I need to add what I would do. For those who think they may scrap it, when its returned is missing the point.

Good luck.

If I could return a medieval ring to the surviving family, I would. Value/price has no meaning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions