city finds before the dozer (UPDATED 1/17/07)

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
these homes are scheduled to be dozed to nothing for a DOT project in the city 4 are 1840 homes and 1 is pre 1820 rest (of 30) are 1930-60 homes.

Today me and some fellow officers went into the homes to rescue what we could to preserve city history before it's broken. some chemical bottles (joked they were gonna call it in when i left about a meth cooker driving a k9 car) great friends huh? and also found a beautiful antique gas cast iron stove with porcieln fronts we will contact a dealer to see if hes interested in buying it and will give the entire amount to the old woman that had lived in the home all her life and is now in a retirement apartment
We did also locate a city beer bottle (that went out of business in the early 19900s few intact bottles remain) (I own 1 of 8)

Believe it or not the blue house to the left is actually older . There were also homes with hidden cellars could be because this was part of thr underground RR, The Penn RR depot was across the street (still active tracts) and was a depot for field artilliary during the CW . We did dig and found oysters shells about a little over 2 foot down

Attachments

• bottles.jpg
    bottles.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,812
  • burner.jpg
    burner.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,817
  • chem parts.jpg
    chem parts.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,809
  • old home 4 copy.jpg
    old home 4 copy.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,811
  • stove grate.jpg
    stove grate.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,795
  • stove tops .jpg
    stove tops .jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,783
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: city finds before the dozer

Great finds and thats a nice gesture to donate the money .
I hate when they tear down old houses....I know some need to go...but the history and memories always makes me sad to see them leave.

OP
OP
bill gent

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark

We're gonna try the 1840 home is far gone hope to save the home to the left as one PO is a nefew of the county exec. will also petition the city to save the chimney tops of some of the homes most brick in the area bears no marks and was told then it is of the 1820 period

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Nice going Bill. Did you do any ground fishing there today? I still say we sycle some of the brush down so we can swing some coil. The side yard of the brown house where I found the silver dime is calling me. I have a good feeling about it. Let me know when you're going back. I guess no luck finding the other half of the stone.
Cya, Mike

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cool finds

HH

dieharddigger

Dec 1, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/E-Trac

I agree with SWR,find and dig those privie's! Lots of treasure's in there!

OP
OP
bill gent

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark

Mike
I supose at any time u want to go NP mark was excited most of the today. He loves the place (said if he was gay he'd kiss me LOL!!!!!!!!) as well he is trying to get the other guys back that dug the privy before, we will undoubtly bring pumps
got a better look at the chimney it is metal topped not terr-cotta. We will also bring high intensity lights to explore what we think is a slave hide out. Saw ur buddy again (B and E guy ) told him to be on his way or we'd use em for target practice hahahaha.
The foundation on the brown house goes way down below even the lower level (where a normal basement is placed) We may even go to the HS to look for bullets and other CW stuff with Mark keep ya posted keep your date book open and pencil ready

All privys have been located and will be searched we do like i said have to pump out the water as well we will explore the well. Looked for the other half of the grist wheel to no avail

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill, I commend you on your efforts to try to preserve some local history. It's a shame that some of those homes couldn't be moved to a new area and preserved for posterity. But times so-called "progress" overrules history preservation. At least you tried.

Huntin' 59er

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac

amazing architecture in those old homes. neat pics!

T

TreasureTales

I tip my hat to you guys for thinking of salvaging the stove and ultimately giving the money to the old woman. She may not realize what you did on her behalf, but many others will. When hunting caches in old homes, sometimes it is the not-so-usual places that need to be checked out. Anyhow, if you have the time you might want to screen the dirt from the outhouse and well. Old marbles, small coins, etc. could be found in this way that may not be found by merely digging out the bottles. Good luck and please keep us to-do-date on your finds at these old houses.

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL

Wow,how cool is that!I have to agree with Gypsy too.I hate to see them tear down old houses.Really great of you to donate the money to the old woman that lived there.Keep us posted.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice post! HH, Mike

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada

Great post! Do you have full access to the homes and some time? A while back there was a post by a fellow named "beekrock" or "beekman" (I think) The sealed suitcase story was a little far fetched but there was tons of great advice given. Can someone please post the link? I'd like to read it again.
I'd love to see some more pics if you have a chance. Especially of the hidden cellars and slave hideouts. An interesting bit of history...too bad it is being torn down.
By the way those finds do look mighty suspicious "occifer". ;) lol Training tools for the scent dog...ya!...that's it!
:D Cute pup by the way!
Please keep us posted! HH Daisy

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story! Lots of history there!

OP
OP
bill gent

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark

Little to do now until the dozer's come we Md's the holes that the state dug and searched the privy's, which need to be pumped dry so will await the equipment hopefully in knowing the state the work wont be done til the spring (hurry up and wait) We have searched the homes superficially so far will go back maybe this week with high intensity lights and of course our sidearms as the section becomes a haven for doopers, thieves and gang hoodies. we don't bring the K9 way too much glass. Like to search the sub cellars of the homes to confirm the underground RR theory.

The history does go back to early farm and trade in the late 1600s ( large river inlet about a 1/8 mile) that meets the Hudson river and runs into bergen county NJ a major post and stop over. The area east as well as most of the city were encampments during the Amer rev and CW and WW1 as well as battle sites in the Amer rev

To date all we have found going back is a CW button alterilliary and few silver coins and wheat's. Not to say its not there just haven't found it

OP
OP
bill gent

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark

Research history on the beer bottle (we found) it was founded by the Lembeck and Betz family (Lembeck family was responsible for the beautiful park across the street from me ) founded in 1889 it operated until 1920. All the brewery buildings still stand with one becoming a condo

Pics to follow after i clean it carefully (no label) only raised lettering on the bottle

If you look closely enough there is much history in dem der trash piles

By the way the area we have been digging is called Dogpatch because over the years people have been dumping all their unwanted animals and trash in the area. Over time people dumped their: sheep goats pigs ducks dogs cats and denizens of the deep (criminal types).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread