SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's colonial hunt

Got out for a rare weekday hunt with my buddy Dan, and we were excited to go back and hit our new colonial site for the 3rd time. In the first 2 trips there we dug 10 coins (5 cut pieces, a reale and 3 Virginia halfpennies and an early LC), as well as a ton of buttons and buckle pieces not to mention digging out an early trash pit. Unfortunately, our coin streak came to an end yesterday, but we were able to dig about 35-40 buttons between us plus some of the usual colonial doo-dads. I also dug the ends to a couple of trifid spoon handles which likely date to the late 1600s. There was something funky about the ground at this site yesterday. Part of that was probably due to the dry ground conditions which was totally opposite as compared to our last hunt there over 2 weeks ago in the rain and a muddy field. We had to check each signal from multiple directions and dig many questionable ones, and sometimes it would end up being a keeper but many times not. We definitely feel this site needs to be visited again, but with all the farming activity starting up we may be done at this spot for the season. I also dug a bird band (closed variety), and it contains the following info: AU BSM 2002 0246. Does anyone know how to interpret this data? Is there any requirement for reporting a found band? Appreciate any help with that.

Attachments

• 040213a.JPG
    040213a.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 040213b.JPG
    040213b.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 195
  • bird band1a.JPG
    bird band1a.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 202
  • bird band1b.JPG
    bird band1b.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 5

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats HH

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds Bill.I'm sure you can trace that bird band but I have know clue.Thanks for sharing.

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a bit more research on the band because I think those are really interesting. Pretty sure the bird belonged to somebody in this club: 36. Club Name : BAYSIDE RPC
Club Code : BSM
Club Secretary : RICHARD W. CLAYTON
City : BOZMAN
State : MD
Phone No. : 410-745-2372

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh-you shouldn't have looked up the info - you can sell bird bands on ebay - I often get 20 dollars - the buyers like to look up and report the results...

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh-you shouldn't have looked up the info - you can sell bird bands on ebay - I often get 20 dollars - the buyers like to look up and report the results...

Wow, I had no idea obviously. Well, he can still sell it, and when the buyer looks it up, they'll find this!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice colonial assortment Bill. I hate to see your season come to a close, it has been very entertaining so far....

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice digs Bill. A lot of those targets could have been coins, looks like it merits another hunt.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still like the pieces of colonial spoons coming up - good sign
and other colonial bits and pieces - more small colonial silver there to be found :icon_thumright:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bill. There are some oldies in there for sure. I would def get back in there next fall!!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Did a bit more research on the band because I think those are really interesting. Pretty sure the bird belonged to somebody in this club: 36. Club Name : BAYSIDE RPC
Club Code : BSM
Club Secretary : RICHARD W. CLAYTON
City : BOZMAN
State : MD
Phone No. : 410-745-2372

That's really cool! Looks like that bird didn't stray more than a couple hundred miles from its owner. I may try to contact the owner sometime. Thanks again for the help.

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice the ones they sell on ebay say "unreported"..though a few do say reported - (put yours up on ebay under "sporting goods - outdoor sports - hunting ...and tell us the results....the prices are all over the place)....must be a lot of amateur bird researchers out there...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread