Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My 1600s mill site has still not been planted so I was able to squeeze in another 3 hour hunt today. As usual, the quantity of finds was minimal, but I did get a couple of nice early buckles. The large spectacle buckle (40x28 mm) with rounded ends and trefoil sides was an obvious but surprising find. I also managed to pull out a couple trapezoidal buckles including one that was complete. Top that off with 2 more buckle pieces, 3 buttons, and a couple of matching leather adornment items with hooks, and it wasn't a bad day at all. I was hoping to find that 25th colonial silver for the season, but it looks like I might not get to that milestone as almost all the fields down this way are now off limits due to planting. But I might get one more shot at this site if I act quickly.

Attachments

• 041613a.JPG
    041613a.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 041613b.JPG
    041613b.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 041613c.JPG
    041613c.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Upvote 12

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buckle! Congrats! I knew you get some more out of these field! :thumbsup:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That larger buckle looks like the soil treated it well!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I know you showed your old silver coin collection but I would love to see your buckles too. Work on that in between writing your four hundred magazine articles :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always nice to get them whole like that!

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buckle and everthing else!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that larger buckle Bill. That slick patina makes me think it might be bronze. The smaller buckle is nice too.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,those buckles are fantastic. Really nice saves!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working toward your 25th colonial silver coin? You have some quality sites. Those complete buckles are wonderful finds!

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, great finds! Congrats and HH!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that larger buckle Bill. That slick patina makes me think it might be bronze. The smaller buckle is nice too.

Thanks Steve. According to my reference book the large spectacle buckle comes under the category "Cast copper-alloy double loop sub-oval buckle: c1600-1720".

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Working toward your 25th colonial silver coin? You have some quality sites. Those complete buckles are wonderful finds!

Thanks Silver Tree Chaser. The only Mass. silver I have is a cut piece from a NOE-11 pine tree shilling. Still looking for my first whole one. And if I'm fortunate enough to find #25 this season it will also be my #150 overall. I've been fortunate the last 2 years to have gotten into some really nice sites, and have 39 colonial silver coins to show for it. Gonna be hard to repeat that next season, but that's what I said a year ago and look what happened. BTW - how many of those Mass silvers have you dug?

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! I know you showed your old silver coin collection but I would love to see your buckles too. Work on that in between writing your four hundred magazine articles :)

Dang Joey - you're asking for the impossible. I have stuff spread out all over the place and mostly grouped by site, so it would be difficult to pull all my early buckles, e.g., for a group shot. The same holds true for coins or any other type of artifact. You're gonna have the same problem soon as the size of your collection is really accelerating.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Silver Tree Chaser. The only Mass. silver I have is a cut piece from a NOE-11 pine tree shilling. Still looking for my first whole one. And if I'm fortunate enough to find #25 this season it will also be my #150 overall. I've been fortunate the last 2 years to have gotten into some really nice sites, and have 39 colonial silver coins to show for it. Gonna be hard to repeat that next season, but that's what I said a year ago and look what happened. BTW - how many of those Mass silvers have you dug?

Bill-

The short answer is only one, as seen for my avatar, a Noe-14 Oak Tree Shilling. I found it back in 2006. I had it slabbed (which I kind of regret) by NGC with a Very Fine details rating. It has only the slightest wear, no gouges or scratches, and a nice strike. I've considered taking it out of the slab, but for now I'll just concentrate on getting a 2nd Mass silver coin. I had a recent stroke of luck and came very close to another Mass silver coin last week. I don't post as often as I should. I'm mostly a lurker, but I will starting posting up some recent finds soon and provide a longer answer. The age and quality of my finds have been improving somewhat since last year. I hunt almost exclusively for colonial-period finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread