relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stopped at a favorite local spot on the way home from work, and was working over a trashy spot when I popped-up this holed 8 Reales fr om
only 2-inches deep. The 8R was removed when it was holed (why there I can't say) I only used hot water, soap and a bristle brush on it.
The gouges on one side were there since they have the same patina as the rest of the coin.
I found this (lighter) not far from the Reale last week. I've been hunting this spot for months but have avoided the trashy areas-an obvious mistake! Can anyone tell me how common an 8 Reales is?
Thanks for lookin. and HH
Relicmeister

Attachments

• DSCN0072.JPG
    DSCN0072.JPG
    873.8 KB · Views: 518
  • DSCN0125.JPG
    DSCN0125.JPG
    933.3 KB · Views: 544
  • DSCN0126.JPG
    DSCN0126.JPG
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 502
Upvote 9

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. They certainly don't turn up every day. I'm no expert but it looks like it might be counterfeit. Doesn't look to be silver. Maybe it's just the lighting of the picture. A counterfeit 8 Reale would be an awesome find as well. Congrats!:hello2:

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think it is silver, and have no idea what they should be either. It appears to be copper-It rang up at 86 on my detector and in comparison the large cent I found gave a reading of 88.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe that is a tooth-mark on the coin? Failed the bite test and so was dropped?

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks counterfeit, which would be all right by me. Its not every day that someone posts a contemporary counterfeit 8 reales. Congratulations on the terrific find!

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of counterfeit,looks copper,if it's c.f. I'll bet they made a lot less. That would make it a rare find!!!! NICE FIND!!!=ED

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That hole looks silver, maybe its just badly tarnished....?? Stick it in some electrolysis (Kids ask parents or adults) give it a good scrub down again and maybe it will shine up !! Its holed, damaged, and possibly counterfeit..... You have nothing to loose !! I'm betting it will shine up cause I swear that hole looks silver !! No matter what way you go or whatever it is, its still a cool find !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

(Disclaimer: Electrolysis is dangerous, kids ask your parents..!! Coin collectors, be careful may damage some delicate coins or you can also over cook them.... Use at your own risk, I'm NOT responsible for "ANYTHING" that may go wrong)

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks real enough. interesting to note though is that hole looks to be drilled perhaps with an actual drill bit. it appears to be perfectly round and has a burr on one side, either entry or exit of the bit. most holed coins of the period that I've ever seen look to have been pierced rather than drilled. like hammering a nail through it for example.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, looks solid silver to me. Nice find, they are not common & Dad & I have never had one. Other than 1 counterfiet.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I interpreted the burr to be from being worn on a chain for a long time. I don't think drilling would do that to both sides.

Very nice lighter. I believe they are called 'tank lighters'. I have a couple of them somewhere but not as ornate.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first impression was that it might be cast and thus a counterfeit, but it's hard to tell from the photos. Wet it and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil a few times and it should get warm and start to dissolve the oxides if it's silver. Then rub some baking soda and water slurry on it with your fingers and post another pic. If it's silver this will clean it up well.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Where does it look silver ? I've dug lot's of old silver and none was colored like this or pitted either ... stained /tarnished yes but not pitted and colored like this ... maybe it's just that the ground conditions I had were different ... NICE FIND never the less ... IMHO , Woodstock
Agreed, looks solid silver to me. Nice find, they are not common & Dad & I have never had one. Other than 1 counterfiet.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where does it look silver ? I've dug lot's of old silver and none was colored like this or pitted either ... stained /tarnished yes but not pitted and colored like this ... maybe it's just that the ground conditions I had were different ... NICE FIND never the less ... IMHO , Woodstock

All over. I might of seen the odd silver like it.:laughing7:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
Your answers seems to need more clarification . From the looks of your picture and some of the other members reply's you're convinced it's silver yet I see nothing that looks to be silver . And Crusader ... you see solid silver , based on that ? I see copper , solid copper . Now I've seen silver tarnished black and when properly stored (cased) maybe different color hews but never as pitted and the color of tarnished copper . And the drilled hole has no silver that I can see by the photos unless your looking at different pictures . Also consider the weird pit on top of the head , what would you call it and why does it have the same copper patina as the rest of the coin . If it was from a bite the biter must have broke their tooth . And the bite test was for gold coins and I never seen any coins that had bite mark even after going to many coin shows . And the bottom face side has a swirl mark indicating it was drilled or there was a attempt to drill it there first that failed .... it even rings up as copper so come on everyone that see's silver tell me how you came to that conclusion ... HH , Woodstock

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi RM....just curious since I saw your post and excellent find again on the first page. Did you try the trick with the aluminum foil at all? Please let us know as to what this coin ended up being. Real or counterfeit--a great find!!

My first impression was that it might be cast and thus a counterfeit, but it's hard to tell from the photos. Wet it and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil a few times and it should get warm and start to dissolve the oxides if it's silver. Then rub some baking soda and water slurry on it with your fingers and post another pic. If it's silver this will clean it up well.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't really make a whit of difference whether it is a contemporary counterfeit or a silver one in that condition. The big thing is--IT'S AN EIGHT REALES!!!

Great find!

-Buck

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like silver to me! In fact, the second 8 reale I dug had a similar patina...

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , a big ol' 8 Eight reale

:skullflag: damn , is the hole big enough ???

still a fantastic basement find :cake:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
Would you mind posting a picture of the exact reale before and after you cleaned it ? I don't doubt your dug one , I'd just like to compare the Patina you claim is the same . Because I have never seen Silver accumulate patina in the color of copper patina when buried in the ground for as long as this one must have been . And I do want to see something to compare it too. If you still have it then post it so all of us who don't see Silver can see how it looks the same ....I've been detecting since 1981 and still have yet to dig Silver in this color ... IMHO , Woodstock
Looks like silver to me! In fact, the second 8 reale I dug had a similar patina...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread