Today was just Awesome! Shield Nickel/relics/buttons/rings & more!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, like the title says, today was just an awesome day, not only because of the finds i had, just the day in general. The weather was awesome, Im officially finished with college, and yeah of course I made some good finds today! Went to the cornfield hoping it was plowed and I was saying to myself as i drove down the road "cmon be plowed, be plowed" I come up over the hill and BAM it was plowed! i was super pumped until I saw the the tractor still in the field:BangHead: He wasnt finished yet so i figured Id head down the road to an old abandoned school from the early 70s I heard about. Not too much there but did get 5 quarters, some other junk and these 2 rings in an hour. One is fake gold and the other aluminum, was nice to dig some rings for a change
IMG01110-20130516-1938.jpg IMG01111-20130516-1939.jpg . Had about enough of the modern stuff cause I knew the farmer would be done plowing by then so headed back to the field and he was finished but I only had about 3 hrs because he was immediately seeding it and farmers dont wait for anyone, he gave me 3 hrs and I hit it as hard and fast as i could and managed 7 buttons a bunch of pottery fragments, this wierd thing that says "mossberg wrench company" on one side and the other side says "worlds fair souvenir" 19??, I think its pretty cool but not quite sure what it is, i think its a whistle?? And last but not least this no date shield nickel!! MY FIRST SHIELD NICKEL!!:headbang:8-):headbang: Im pretty excited about that because its my first one and is in nice shape, sorry about the novel i wrote, but like i said, today was just a perfect day and i wanted to share, thanks for looking and HH field.jpg IMG01112-20130516-1939.jpg IMG01113-20130516-1939.jpg IMG01120-20130516-2026.jpg IMG01121-20130516-2026.jpg IMG01122-20130516-2026.jpg shield.jpg

PS:
and with that 130516_0002.jpg , my honeyhole is finished until fall!

Last edited:
Upvote 6

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Congrats what year is the nickel?

Scouts out!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shield nickels are a special little coin to find. Just hard enough to find that they're not seen very often. You have to be listening close to know it's not a pull tab. Seeing those rays in the design when cleaning off. Just pure fun!

WTG

HH!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Congrats what year is the nickel?

Scouts out!
I dont know, there isnt a date on it? is that common?? I checked it w my loupe and it doesnt appear to have been worn off so im stumped

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you. Amazing hunts you had. The hard part starts now.....waiting on autumn, lol. Hope you stay busy and successful til then.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you. Amazing hunts you had. The hard part starts now.....waiting on autumn, lol. Hope you stay busy and successful til then.

thanks!, im sure i can figure out a way to keep busy til then:laughing7:so many yards, so little time

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dates on them are very small. they have stuff called nic-a-date you could try I have never used it but guys I have talked to tell me it works good.

Scouts out!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dates on them are very small. they have stuff called nic-a-date you could try I have never used it but guys I have talked to tell me it works good.

Scouts out!

yeah its worn off, oh well. I can tell you that I dug a draped bust w/worn date there, and 8 other LCs some were easy to read the dates, others not so much. the ones i could read were 1818 (2) 1812's, and an 1829. I also got an 1864 3 center, and 2 1860 fatty Indian heads, so im guessing its in the 1860-70s

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shield nickels are a special little coin to find. Just hard enough to find that they're not seen very often. You have to be listening close to know it's not a pull tab. Seeing those rays in the design when cleaning off. Just pure fun!

WTG

HH!

Thanks! yeah I love finding my first of any coin, this was on my list and its nice to put an ole' check mark next to that one

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great set of finds! Gotta love those days were everything just seems to come together! Congrats!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great set of finds! Gotta love those days were everything just seems to come together! Congrats!

thank u sir. yeah it was a nice day, alot of finds in relatively short period of time but that field was brutal to walk through, it was like walking in quicksand, mental note: dont wear shorts and sneakers when walking through 8-10 inches of loose freshly plowed dirt!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. I found my first shield nickel a few weeks ago. Mine is an 1867. I'm sure yours isn't far off. I'm guess you do know where the date is, small print under the shield on the back. Good finds and HH.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank u sir. yeah it was a nice day, alot of finds in relatively short period of time but that field was brutal to walk through, it was like walking in quicksand, mental note: dont wear shorts and sneakers when walking through 8-10 inches of loose freshly plowed dirt!

Hey man...by the way, never wear shorts when relic hunting. lol I couldn't imagine! Only time I would say wear shorts is detecting on the beach...lol

rmbutcher4

Jun 9, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still looking for my first shield. Congrats on the nice finds.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.. By the sounds of it the day was just meant for you.. Congrats..

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man...by the way, never wear shorts when relic hunting. lol I couldn't imagine! Only time I would say wear shorts is detecting on the beach...lol
normally in private yards its ok with me lol but fields, not so much :laughing7:

beau-bc

Mar 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT&Deus for relics &coins
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt,Awesome site and an Awesome nickel, congrates on that find, I found one up here a couple of months ago,rare for here to see one, I put it in a electrolysis bath and lost the 5 and the stars,barely make out the shield,I cried for the nickel and for being so brain dead

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread