omg! I dug up a brass cannon...Im freaking out...plus other stuff

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omg! I dug up a brass cannon...I'm freaking out...plus other stuff

This cannon is heavy! ...about 8 oz of pure brass, and about 6" long. :headbang:
Actually, a nice piece of work, I can't see any mold marks or lines.

road king 52 afrikaans village rosie.jpg

The fob is from the King of the Road Driver's Club.

Reverse side: road king.jpg

The 1952 rosie was in my very first hole today! I love it when that happens. I was checking parking strips.

I'm trying to fill a 76 dime book with found silver dimes. I have 2 more to go. All but 5 were metal detected. One I picked up from the bag well at a Walmart checkout! That was weird. 4 were roll hunted.... I got only 2 spaces left to go; so far of the ones I metal detected, 3 are Barbers, 39 mercs, and 27 rosies.

The wheaties were not the usual 40s and 50s, today. I got a 16; 20; 23; 26. All Philadelphia mint.

I didn't scratch anything today! I tried using a spoon for the last "spoonful" and it seems to work for saving coins and fobs etc. from damage.

I'm finding Road King 76 belt buckles online, including several on ebay completed sales: $8, 10, 25, 30 and $40, all but the $40 sale also charging for shipping, that have the same lion device, and those same squiggly lines, just like on the fob. The cheaper ones have condition issues. But I can't find a single fob anywhere online, not even in google images. Strange. I would have thought the fob would be common and the belt buckle less so.

Last edited:
Upvote 7

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt thanks for sharing I love the cannon

Scouts out!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and cool story about the dimes... Congrats..

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool finds! Maybe a signal cannon or training cannon of some sort? Just thinking out loud, not an expert.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that cannon barrel.

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think its a model replica,the back end of it from the front of the front band back to the "knob" (there must be a cannon term for that), is solid brass, only the front of the barrel is bored. It's got a touch-hole.

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice fob!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think its a model replica,the back end of it from the front of the front band back to the "knob" (there must be a cannon term for that), is solid brass, only the front of the barrel is bored. It's got a touch-hole.

Most of these were usable as a Gentlemens table piece in the late 18th - early 19th C. (some used by rich kids) Yours looks to be a later model of say 1850-1900.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The "knob" is called the cascabel. You are correct it is a replica, and not a very old one. This is evident by the drilled hole where the trunions would have been. Trunions are the cylindrical protusions on the sides of the cannon where it was mounted on it's carriage. Antique and good quality small cannons have the trunions cast with the barrel or "tube" not drilled and pinned on and the good ones were bored all the way back to the touch hole. This one is the type still sold at souvenier shops at battlefields and forts. Cool find, but go back out and find an antique one that can still be shot!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "knob" is called the cascabel. You are correct it is a replica, and not a very old one. This is evident by the drilled hole where the trunions would have been. Trunions are the cylindrical protusions on the sides of the cannon where it was mounted on it's carriage. Antique and good quality small cannons have the trunions cast with the barrel or "tube" not drilled and pinned on and the good ones were bored all the way back to the touch hole. This one is the type still sold at souvenier shops at battlefields and forts. Cool find, but go back out and find an antique one that can still be shot!!

Good point, I never spotted that, as I never enlarged the picture. I could tell it was more modern than the 18-19th C types, but as you point out this is much later than I first thought.

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little guy will most likely be as close as I will ever get to an antique model cannon buried in the ground! And I'm afraid the state of Florida owns all of the real ones that may still be in state waters.

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could very well be a home made cannon. Over the years, I have turned numerous cannons on a lathe, from 2" brass up to 12" stainless steel. Let me tell ya, that 12 incher sure does make a loud noise.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice saves there :treasurechest: 8-)

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could very well be a home made cannon. Over the years, I have turned numerous cannons on a lathe, from 2" brass up to 12" stainless steel. Let me tell ya, that 12 incher sure does make a loud noise.
i hadn't thought of that; I've seen several garage workshops with lathes for sale down here since I started going to yard and estate sales.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread