Humbling find at colonial cellar hole

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Today I went back to my family farm which has about 1900 acres to one of the largest cellar holes on it. I have been told that at this particular foundation, the British during the Revolutionary War, locked relatives of my family in the house and burnt it down. I found this item today in the cellar hole and was immediately brought over with a sense of sorrow. When I got home, I looked up the hallmark inside of the ring, which dates it to 1763 and I have reason to believe is most likely from one of my late relatives.

I'm sharing this because of the historical significance and was very apprehensive to writing this. Please be respectful in your responses. Thank you.

970038_10151705923600817_214949834_n.jpg Photo3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 23

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wonderful thing about this hobby is how it connects us with our history and when you look into our history it is amazing how closely we are all are connected.
I wish you the best in your digs this summer and hope you can piece together more of your family history.
ZDD

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to dig that cellar hole out!!!! Get a backhoe or a good shovel! :occasion14:

OMG. No. Not a backhoe.

If your family died there, it is a very special place, possibly even even a grave site. I'd dig it only if I were a family member. It is up to you to do it if you'd like, but I think that you've figured out that it is your job as family. Good for you.

You are truly blessed to be able to look back - and "feel" back - to your family. Savor it. I'm not sure I'd film it, but I'd write about it after each day, recalling how I felt.

That belongs in a family history book that you'll write. No one else has this very lucky chance. Just you.

Best to you.

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
OMG. No. Not a backhoe. If your family died there, it is a very special place, possibly even even a grave site. I'd dig it only if I were a family member. It is up to you to do it if you'd like, but I think that you've figured out that it is your job as family. Good for you. You are truly blessed to be able to look back - and "feel" back - to your family. Savor it. I'm not sure I'd film it, but I'd write about it after each day, recalling how I felt. That belongs in a family history book that you'll write. No one else has this very lucky chance. Just you. Best to you.

Thank you for your post, out of respect those are the only photos I am going to be taking of the site, aside from the finds cleaned up at home. I do document everything I find, even the items that are categorized as "trash" and even grid out the cellar.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That must have been a very emotional moment when you first realized what you had recovered. I know its something you and your family will always cherish. Super find!!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your post, out of respect those are the only photos I am going to be taking of the site, aside from the finds cleaned up at home. I do document everything I find, even the items that are categorized as "trash" and even grid out the cellar.

Very nice. You're right on.

I'd give a lot to find something similar from my family's past. Putting your hands on something that they used in their daily lives is a true blessing.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very glad this post popped back up. I always felt it had some real character and the find was one of the best I have seen.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So glad that you did post this as difficult as this situation is. Often times our family histories have some very tough chapters. We need to remember that these sacrifices helped to forge our freedom. We need to not shy away from these things and face them head on. Telling others about the sacrifices of our loved ones keeps there memory alive. Congratulations on finding such a special item and thank you for sharing something so personal. We should all be proud of those that can before us. All the best, Abe

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
I am very glad this post popped back up. I always felt it had some real character and the find was one of the best I have seen. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thank you, that means a lot. Happy holidays to you!

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
I am very glad this post popped back up. I always felt it had some real character and the find was one of the best I have seen.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

It is definitely a hard situation to fathom, but there were sacrifices that occurred that mirror what happened at the site throughout the colonies which helped forge the freedom we share today. Though it is a gruesome means that the British terrorized the colonists by murdering individuals this way, their memory CANNOT be forgotten. I even plan on reclaiming the wood and even the large glass shards inside the cellar, possibly from the windows of the house; in order to save every part of the history I can. NOTHING IS GOING TO BE SOLD. I will post many more pictures come the spring for all.

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you, I would also document your finds with as many photos as you can take. There is a story to be told here, and once this site is sifted, all of the info of the actual dig will be lost after your memory fades, and you leave this world. Out of respect for your relatives, you don't have to post the photos, but they should be taken never-the-less, and shared with the family. When that ring was lost, it had your name on it. No one else COULD have found it, because it was destined for YOU to find. I would also record the depth that you are at of each artifact you find as well. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Never use any type of heavy equipment, only a hand shovel, and a sifting screen with 1/4" mesh. Work very slowly one section at a time, or better yet, one "level" at a time. When you find grouplings of glass or other artifacts, photograph everything! Like I said, this doesn't mean any disrespect to your relatives at all, and these photos can be kept with the entire collection you aquire. I have worked with the Archaeologists for years, and I understand all-to-well the importance of your site. Work slow, no need to be in a rush. Since this is family owned property, you have the advantage of being able to taking your time. This is a dream come true for most of us, so be as thorough as you can out of respect for your past (and future) generations. Once you are finished, it can never be re-dug again. Everything is still intact within its context. When you take your photographs, lay a tape measure on the ground, so the exact location can be recorded, like the distance from the North wall, and distance from the East wall. All this info will come in handy when you graph it all out on paper, and mark down all the artifacts, and their exact locations and depths.

Most of us would give our eye teeth to be in your position, so do your ancestors proud. Please think about what I have suggested. In years to come, you will not regret this for one second. If there is any assistance I can lend to you over the computer, don't hesitate to ask. Hey, I am just a keyboard away! One more thing, be sure and mark down the lacation of the walls by using a compass. The walls may not be aligned with exact N,S,E,and W.

Good luck, and savor each and every moment you have with this. THIS is why you found the ring. YOU are the only family member that can do this, and do it RIGHT!

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
If I were you, I would also document your finds with as many photos as you can take. There is a story to be told here, and once this site is sifted, all of the info of the actual dig will be lost after your memory fades, and you leave this world. Out of respect for your relatives, you don't have to post the photos, but they should be taken never-the-less, and shared with the family. When that ring was lost, it had your name on it. No one else COULD have found it, because it was destined for YOU to find. I would also record the depth that you are at of each artifact you find as well. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Never use any type of heavy equipment, only a hand shovel, and a sifting screen with 1/4" mesh. Work very slowly one section at a time, or better yet, one "level" at a time. When you find grouplings of glass or other artifacts, photograph everything! Like I said, this doesn't mean any disrespect to your relatives at all, and these photos can be kept with the entire collection you aquire. I have worked with the Archaeologists for years, and I understand all-to-well the importance of your site. Work slow, no need to be in a rush. Since this is family owned property, you have the advantage of being able to taking your time. This is a dream come true for most of us, so be as thorough as you can out of respect for your past (and future) generations. Once you are finished, it can never be re-dug again. Everything is still intact within its context. When you take your photographs, lay a tape measure on the ground, so the exact location can be recorded, like the distance from the North wall, and distance from the East wall. All this info will come in handy when you graph it all out on paper, and mark down all the artifacts, and their exact locations and depths.

Most of us would give our eye teeth to be in your position, so do your ancestors proud. Please think about what I have suggested. In years to come, you will not regret this for one second. If there is any assistance I can lend to you over the computer, don't hesitate to ask. Hey, I am just a keyboard away! One more thing, be sure and mark down the lacation of the walls by using a compass. The walls may not be aligned with exact N,S,E,and W.

Good luck, and savor each and every moment you have with this. THIS is why you found the ring. YOU are the only family member that can do this, and do it RIGHT!

Thank you for all of your insight. I will be crossing every T and dotting every I going through the site.

FamilyFun2010

Apr 16, 2010
Morehead, Ky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites TRX pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if there is an update on this awesome story? Like many have said before most of us can only dream of finding something like this. Much respect for the way you are handling it.

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this is a unbelievable find .even without the story this is a banner.

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
I have been unable to return to the location yet this year, but am planning on going sometime this upcoming week. I work odd, usually long hours and it doesn't allow me the large amounts of free time to look as often as I wish I could. I will post photos of any and all items that I find when I do get time to sift around.

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
To all who have followed this post, the next couple weeks I will be vigilantly going through the site. I will keep y'all posted with what I find.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To all who have followed this post, the next couple weeks I will be vigilantly going through the site. I will keep y'all posted with what I find.

I missed this post in 2013! Of course the circumstances that took place around the loss of that ring are upsetting. However, is is a very interesting find and the history is remarkable. I'm so glad you found it!

Good luck over the next few weeks of gathering items and information at your site!

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh my goodness, that is sobering. War is a terrible thing. I'm glad you were able to recover that priceless heirloom, and I hope you can document more from your family's old home. Thank you for sharing, this has to be one of the most incredibly personal artifacts I've ever seen found.

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow history always makes me very emotional! I could not imagine being able to tie in my family as well especially with the devastating story you shared with the tnet community!! Be sure to pass on all these stories to the next generation

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread