Humbling find at colonial cellar hole

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Today I went back to my family farm which has about 1900 acres to one of the largest cellar holes on it. I have been told that at this particular foundation, the British during the Revolutionary War, locked relatives of my family in the house and burnt it down. I found this item today in the cellar hole and was immediately brought over with a sense of sorrow. When I got home, I looked up the hallmark inside of the ring, which dates it to 1763 and I have reason to believe is most likely from one of my late relatives.

I'm sharing this because of the historical significance and was very apprehensive to writing this. Please be respectful in your responses. Thank you.

970038_10151705923600817_214949834_n.jpg Photo3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 23

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very beautiful hand crafted ring. dating to 1793, it would of course be post revolution and it doesn't appear to show any signs of fire damage so at least it was not worn during the time of your relative's murder. it would be really cool if you could trace it back to an individual relative and place a name with it, but that will most likely remain a mystery. outstanding find!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
what a wonderful find! To hold something that may have been worn by a relative 200 yrs. ago would be so exciting. So far I have only been able to find square nails at my families homestead which was built right before the civil war.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find and sorry to hear how your relatives got involved in the war so sad.

OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
very beautiful hand crafted ring. dating to 1793, it would of course be post revolution and it doesn't appear to show any signs of fire damage so at least it was not worn during the time of your relative's murder. it would be really cool if you could trace it back to an individual relative and place a name with it, but that will most likely remain a mystery. outstanding find!

I stand corrected, I did not realize that I had hit 9 on my keyboard accidentally instead of a 6. Should have been 1763 in the initial post. That was an typo on my part. I did spend 2 hours today cleaning and polishing it to show the final result.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ring is beautiful even though it has a sad story behind it.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would certainly be very rewarding if you can connect this to your relatives. The words "fate" and "destiny" come to my mind. I am sure this will hold a piece of your heart until the day when the "fate" and "destiny" of the beautiful little ring continues. Thank you for sharing the story and the pics.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I would call a priceless heirloom!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding a piece of family history is the best kind of history to find. Congrats on a beautiful ring.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every artifact has a story some are more poignant than others. Surely your passed relations are glad that the unfinished business of the lost ring is now resolved and it is safely in the the hands of a family member so that its story can go on. Thank you for sharing your hunt with us :award_star_gold_3:

Sincerely, CARM

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I was there to get this on film!

JJohnson

Mar 14, 2013
Glen Allen, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Explorer, XS, E-Trac, CTX-30/30
Garrett: Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every artifact has a story some are more poignant than others. Surely your passed relations are glad that the unfinished business of the lost ring is now resolved and it is safely in the the hands of a family member so that its story can go on. Thank you for sharing your hunt with us :award_star_gold_3:

Sincerely, CARM

I agree 100%. Very nice ring with personal / family history. That ring, with that history would be my best find forever. I couldn't wait to pass it along to the next generation. Outstanding job on research, recovery in ever sense!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please show close ups of the hallmarks , and of the ring in general ? Thank you for sharing this story !

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always great when you can save some of your family's history. I'm sure you will cherish it for years to come & make sure it stays in the family!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread