I cant believe it! Another Barber Half Dollar!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe it! Another Barber Half Dollar!

Got out for a while today with a friend. After getting skunked at two sites we ended up at a foundation site near my friends house that he had gained permission for us to hunt last week. Started hunting around the foundation and after only about 10 minutes I got a high tone signal on the VX3. It wasn't consistent... a little jumpy from the mid 80s up to the low 90s and it didn't give that solid single bar display that a coin normally does. It was a double bar display, which sometimes can indicate a larger target. The depth indication was 4 1/2 inches. Started digging and encountered a root right off the bat. The pinpointer was indicating the target was behind the root so I started pushing dirt down with my hand on the far side of the root and scooping it out of the hole. I was throwing handfuls of dirt into the pile near the hole and here is what I saw........
146.JPG 147.JPG 148.JPG 149.JPG

Also found a no date buffalo nickel and a wheatie.
160.JPG

Here's the half after a short soak to be sure of the date and then another couple pics after cleaning it up a bit. Turned out to be a 1909 O..
153.JPG 154.JPG 155.JPG 156.JPG

Thanks for looking and happy hunting. .

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost forgot. The post is titled Another barber half because I was fortunate enough to find another one on mother's day at my parents house. Can't believe I've found two back to back like that. Never found a silver half before the first one.... now two in a row.
158.JPG

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
real nice...congrats.:icon_thumright:Last year I didn't find 1 silver half this year I found 2 walkers in the week..go figure

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! I hope you find another one soon

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very NICE indeed , now I need to get out and get permission to hunt new sites & find me a couple or more.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on another BIG Silver! That root made you work a little for it. :laughing7:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love BIG Silver too. Congrats, they don't come along that often, then sometimes back to back.
I got my first last year, I'd like to get one this year.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love BIG Silver too. Congrats, they don't come along that often, then sometimes back to back.
I got my first last year, I'd like to get one this year.
May seems to be half dollar month. I see a lot being posted. I bet you find one before the end of the month!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would kill just to find a Barber dime or quarter.
CongratZ!
Thanks for the reply. Just find a few homesites that are 100 years old or older and knock on a few doors. You"ll find a few. I got lucky and found one at my parents house.:laughing7: It was built in 1890.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on the Big Silver Barber Half! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread