πŸ₯‡ BANNER Does Coral beep? yes, when its full of coins!!!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could'nt work out why this lump of coral (in 2 ft of water) at the beach kept "hitting"?

brought it home and it started to fall apart in my bag - WOW!!!

just need to identify them and work out how to save / clean them???

any ideas???

thanks!!

IMGP0469.JPG IMGP0470.JPG IMGP0471.JPG IMGP0472.JPG IMGP0473.JPG IMGP0474.JPG
IMGP0563.JPG IMGP0523.JPG IMGP0525.JPG IMGP0526.JPG IMGP0527.JPG IMGP0529.JPG IMGP0510.JPG
IMGP0505.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 57
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not say this to rain on your parade, but being a full-time rare book, art and antiques dealer I have consigned to Sotheby's five different items in the last twelve years, and they usually want the item to have an estimated value of at least $10,000. I think you should try to find a more suitable auction house that's deals exclusively or almost exclusively with sunken treasure and artifacts. I think there are a few good ones in Florida. Also, did you send the pictures to the specific department's email that deals with this kind of artifact, or just to Sotheby's general email? The reason I ask, is that it might take a few weeks (at least) to receive a reply (since they get tons of appraisal requests each day) from the general email. If you want to pursue Sotheby's, I would get a hold of the correct department, call and speak to someone in that department, telling them what you have, and then send the pictures to your contact. You'll get an answer much quicker that way.

Good advice - thanks!!

if anyone knows of any auction house etc that may deal with this type of thing (not saying its worth a fortune, but would like to see?) than please let me know?

Maybe I can buy a small boat, then go haul up the rest..........:skullflag: :goldbar: :icon_thumright:

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Good advice - thanks!!

if anyone knows of any auction house etc that may deal with this type of thing (not saying its worth a fortune, but would like to see?) than please let me know?

Maybe I can buy a small boat, then go haul up the rest..........:skullflag: :goldbar: :icon_thumright:

You might want to contact this company:

Daniel Frank Sedwick Professional Numismatists
Treasure And World Coin Auctions
Winter Park, Florida
Spanish Colonial and Latin American Coinage, Shipwreck Coins and Artifacts of all Nations by Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC

Last edited:
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, but needless to say, not as nice as yours! One more piece of advice, if an auction house attempts to purchase the coins outright, find another auction. Though I doubt Sotheby's or Heritage would try that. I've never dealt with Sedwick, so I don't know.

Have been in contact with Sedwick! :icon_thumleft:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some amazing things in my day's but this really tops them all.... I've never been so pumped about a find before !! I'm a PADI diver so if you ever need a dive buddy to get the rest I'd love to help.... I don't know why your not out there already with a underwater camera. I could not sit still until I searched 5 miles in every direction !! I'm really hoping you find more, I hope you can get out there before someone else stumbles across something. Sorry, but this thread has me real pumped !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found some amazing things in my day's but this really tops them all.... I've never been so pumped about a find before !! I'm a PADI diver so if you ever need a dive buddy to get the rest I'd love to help.... I don't know why your not out there already with a underwater camera. I could not sit still until I searched 5 miles in every direction !! I'm really hoping you find more, I hope you can get out there before someone else stumbles across something. Sorry, but this thread has me real pumped !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

Ah! location undisclosed?? maybe you're too far away to help!!

will be out with my camera next week, will post what I find!!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE;

Sedwicks suggested starting at $500

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd never sell this find for $500 or even double that. Well....... I would sure hope that I would never need to sell it for that.

I agree!
(although they did say START at that)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The starting bid is placed to provide momentum (room) for more bidding. The first bidder thinks he is getting the product for a bargain; then the other bidders chime in and suddenly you may get a 'feeding frenzy' of emotional bids; that's the idea anyway behind what appears to be a low starting bid. Just saying.........
Don....
PS: And if you have a Reserve price already in place, what is the matter with a $500 opening bid?

Last edited:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you always have the option to put a reserve price on your auction, so if the reserve is not met then no sale and you get your item back.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you always have the option to put a reserve price on your auction, so if the reserve is not met then no sale and you get your item back.

I agree with the reserve price thing - the only issue is trying to get it to the States for the auction, them back here again if it don't sell!!

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exceptional finds! The best things Ive seen in a while!

Good luck on more!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
The key word here being IF. Remember these finds were made in 2 ft. of water which to me signals that these are remnants of something that have washed ashore from somewhere--possibly long ago. It's highly unlikely in my opinion that there is going to be a huge windfall of coins where he is searching or they would have been washing up on the shore and found by many, though hopefully there will be some more coins, relics, and projectiles where he is searching.

In the mean time he is finding some very interesting projectiles that can identified here and it would serve no purpose at all to keep these finds quiet. I would agree with you if these finds eventually point to the existence of a wreck somewhere laden with treasure, but again that is a big IF and will in all likelyhood require a lot of work by many people to recover the goods.

In the mean time, I for one would like to see what other sorts of items he finds in the current search field. I think the most sage advice right now is just to keep the location of the search field to himself for now.

He may have a narrow window of opportunity as there's always the possibility that as the days go on that the area will get sanded in and the items again will be out of reach.

I absolutely agree with Erik's last sentence. With the heart of hurricane season approaching I would not waste any time trying to recover as much as I could from this site. I'm sure you know the Virgin Islands are frequently hit by tropical storms and hurricanes and it would be a shame to have any remaining treasure get scattered and lost forever. But if the coins were found in an extremely sheltered area on the west side of the islands it might survive a storm. Case in point - a couple good friends of mine have been hitting this extremely early riverfront site here in eastern Virginia for years that's given up numerous spanish cobs, hammered coins, early pipe bowls and pottery, etc. These were found on the beach and the low tide area right next to the original chimney that was practically in the water from all the erosion over the years. But all the finds had remained in that immediate vicinity for the last 400 years in spite of many storms. But after a nor'easter last fall they went back to see what the storm might have uncovered and found the whole site had been wiped clean (except for the chimney) and they could not find a single thing, not even a piece of small iron. They even checked a 1/2 mile down the beach in both directions but still nothing. So you just never know when Mother Nature will come in and swoop your treasure away. So it goes without saying that you should expedite your search and do everything you can before your worst fear happens. I wish you all the luck in the world with your recoveries.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I absolutely agree with Erik's last sentence. With the heart of hurricane season approaching I would not waste any time trying to recover as much as I could from this site. I'm sure you know the Virgin Islands are frequently hit by tropical storms and hurricanes and it would be a shame to have any remaining treasure get scattered and lost forever. But if the coins were found in an extremely sheltered area on the west side of the islands it might survive a storm. Case in point - a couple good friends of mine have been hitting this extremely early riverfront site here in eastern Virginia for years that's given up numerous spanish cobs, hammered coins, early pipe bowls and pottery, etc. These were found on the beach and the low tide area right next to the original chimney that was practically in the water from all the erosion over the years. But all the finds had remained in that immediate vicinity for the last 400 years in spite of many storms. But after a nor'easter last fall they went back to see what the storm might have uncovered and found the whole site had been wiped clean (except for the chimney) and they could not find a single thing, not even a piece of small iron. They even checked a 1/2 mile down the beach in both directions but still nothing. So you just never know when Mother Nature will come in and swoop your treasure away. So it goes without saying that you should expedite your search and do everything you can before your worst fear happens. I wish you all the luck in the world with your recoveries.

Good advice from both - thanks!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread