Double Seated and Military 100 degree Day!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I got out with Shanegalang and Diggergirl for a hot hunt here in South Louisiana. Wasn't a bad 100 degree day. Sticky, muddy, and mosquito-y in the morning, with a lot of dew on the cane. Then hot and humid in the afternoon but at least there was breeze. Hunted about eight hours in the heat.

We were trying to zero in on a house site and instead found a trash pit (as evidenced by the burned coins...). Anyhow, I ended up with two seated half dimes that aren't pretty, but I was pleased to find them. Also got a nice early military button. I'm hoping that someone will be able to ID it. I'm pretty positive it isn't American. British maybe? Calling Iron Patch. Help! :hello:

Here's the video and some photos:

The first seated I didn't catch still photos of. I wasn't even sure it was silver until I had removed it from the dirt. The second seated I did catch in a photo:

173_0415.JPG

And here are the finds photos. The Seateds as I said before, aren't much to look at. :D But I am glad to dig old silver coins anytime.

HPIM4138.JPG HPIM4139.JPG
HPIM4136.JPG HPIM4137.JPG

Here is the mystery Navy button. Eagle perched on an anchor with wings upturned and rays in the background. Rope border. Any ideas?

HPIM4140.JPG HPIM4141.JPG

And a beautiful little pewter button with floral design. (I'm so glad that pewter fares well in the soil down here. The same button would've been half a crusty lump in the Kentucky soil.) Also got a nice bead. Not sure if it's trade, but probably just CW era or slightly earlier.

HPIM4142.JPG HPIM4143.JPG

And a group shot of all the finds.

HPIM4135.JPG

Decent quality for not too many overall targets. But that's the way it seems to be here, if one detects in the right places. ;) Seems like in KY I dug tons of nonferrous--and big iron!--in order to get each decent find.

Best Wishes and Stay Cool,

Buck

Upvote 12
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Canefield Bandits!! The button is nothing I have ever seen. I recall someone digging a Revenue Cutter button there. Coast Guard is a possibility too. At any rate, it's early & cool. Glad Diggergirl caught up on her sleep on the way back_LOL. You 3 earn everything you get in that oppressive heat & mud. HH, Q.

BTW-I took your tip (in your recent W & E Treasures magazine article) and bought a long sleeve Columbia shirt for mowing the lawn to prevent burning during the hot part of the Iennessee summer. I wore it today and was amazed as to how cool I stayed during the 3 hours of mowing. Thanks Will.

Hey Quindy, I'm glad to hear you got a shirt. I swear by that polyester-blend, breathable fabric. Performance Fishing Gear, Columbia, UnderArmor--it's all good. I like the fact that the fabric UV-blocks as well as feels light and airy. I was out digging the other day and a mas said to me "I bet you're burning up in long sleeves." I said "Not at all." :D I didn't tell him that my long sleeved shirt was probably cooler than his DARK BLUE t-shirt! :D

Cheers,

Buck

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds as usual brother! Looks like you guys did well. I like the fact that you post text and still pics along with your videos--really makes a difference. I myself was hunting with the Colonial Jersey Bandits (NJLargeCent and Grant Hansen) this weekend in South Jersey--a good time was had by all! I do miss hearing what kind of delicious foods you guys ate for lunch on your hunts :) lol

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds as usual brother! Looks like you guys did well. I like the fact that you post text and still pics along with your videos--really makes a difference. I myself was hunting with the Colonial Jersey Bandits (NJLargeCent and Grant Hansen) this weekend in South Jersey--a good time was had by all! I do miss hearing what kind of delicious foods you guys ate for lunch on your hunts :) lol

Thanks for the reply, my friend! I look forward to seeing you post from the CJB's! Yeah, I need to restore that as a tradition. Well, in the meantime, here is a photo of some Shrimp Creole I made last night, with homemade bread.

Cheers,

Buck

foo.jpg food.jpg food2.jpg

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the fare at the end of your posts was the "icing on the cake!" :laughing7: OMG that shrimp creole looks amazing and your presentation looks like it could go into a fine cookbook! Please PM me the recipe for that dish if and when you have a chance--would love to try it. I'm gonna have to come and join the Canefield Bandits on a hunt someday just for the food! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the reply, my friend! I look forward to seeing you post from the CJB's! Yeah, I need to restore that as a tradition. Well, in the meantime, here is a photo of some Shrimp Creole I made last night, with homemade bread.

Cheers,

Buck

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
As always, thanks for the video. :icon_thumleft: Those two buttons are awesome. I hope you can get them ID'd.
Nothing like sporting a 100 degree wedgy. :laughing7: You are a die hard Dude.
Sorry to hear about the Fisher, but it sounds like Quindy. Once it gets wet it stops working. LOL
Glad you had a faithful Mighty Tesoro to use.
Any snake sightings yet?
Thanks for the great post,
DUHg

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know how to finish a day in the fields! Cool finds but in the moment the shrimp creole gets all my attention! :occasion14:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the fare at the end of your posts was the "icing on the cake!" :laughing7: OMG that shrimp creole looks amazing and your presentation looks like it could go into a fine cookbook! Please PM me the recipe for that dish if and when you have a chance--would love to try it. I'm gonna have to come and join the Canefield Bandits on a hunt someday just for the food! :icon_thumleft:

Done. ;)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
As always, thanks for the video. :icon_thumleft: Those two buttons are awesome. I hope you can get them ID'd.
Nothing like sporting a 100 degree wedgy. :laughing7: You are a die hard Dude.
Sorry to hear about the Fisher, but it sounds like Quindy. Once it gets wet it stops working. LOL
Glad you had a faithful Mighty Tesoro to use.
Any snake sightings yet?
Thanks for the great post,
DUHg

Yes, I've seen snakes on the road in droves, but none in the fields yet--but I am always vigilant. In the swampy areas, I've seen them. The F75 sprang back to life after it dried out. Lesson learned on the dew on the cane leaves. BTW, cane leaves are sharp and will cut a feller up. Tell Dman that so he'll think twice about trying to poach on our site barefoot. Long story there, but a funny one.

Good to hear from you my friend!

-Buck

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Buck - those seated coins are in just as bad of shape as that 1/2 reale you just dug. But silver is silver, and you're finding much more than me since I'm stuck at home until fall. Nice going!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Buck - those seated coins are in just as bad of shape as that 1/2 reale you just dug. But silver is silver, and you're finding much more than me since I'm stuck at home until fall. Nice going!

Yeah, they're some of the worst ones I've ever dug. Oh well, at least I can identify what they are Haha. It's too bad that you're stuck at home. Trust me, at times hunting in the heat here is not much better! But if it's reasonably dry rather than rain forest weather here I can't really stay home.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread