Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE IN REPLY #102! It appears that the example of the PB countermark on my coin was UNIQUE as of 2003--hoping for more information on whether any have been recovered since!

Hello All,

I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress! :D

Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

HPIM4169.JPG

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.

At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.

Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183

Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.

Parts of three solid silver spoons:

HPIM4179.JPG HPIM4177.JPG HPIM4178.JPG

1890 IH was a nice surprise:

HPIM4180.JPG HPIM4181.JPG

Nice 1913 Barber Dime :)

HPIM4175.JPG HPIM4176.JPG

And the cut 8Reales:

HPIM4173.JPG HPIM4174.JPG

HPIM4172.JPG

The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?

All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron. :D

HPIM4182.JPG

It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 70
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 bits to 5 Gs sounds like a banner to me too.

Perserverance does pay off remembering a recent 24 hour hunt you had in 100 degree heat with not so much to show for it.
Congrats on a rare well deserved find.

You know on any other day those Silver spoons, and a barber would have made for a good hunt.

I see another member DFX Kevin found a similar in march, his had the two counter marks on opposite sides of the piece. He didn't get many replies either ?

Now I'll be having dreams and digging holes in the mattress. You got the "BIG ONE" maybe I'll get one too.

Banner vote in.

Question will you keep or sell ?

Yes normally the silver spoons and dime wouldve been a great day by themselves. In terms of keeping or selling into the bank box it goes. :)

Yes I saw that another member dug one. He posted later on. Didnt know what it was when he dug it. Sent it to Ask Mark Parker for an ID.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!!I have dug an 8r,and been with buds and watched em dig counterstamped coins,but one still eludes me.To dig one with a RARE stamp,is off the charts.Congrats doesnt even touch it my friend!

Thanks my friend! Your finds certainly keep me inspired to dig.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good coin!! Do those spoons have a makers mark on the back? One of them looks like it could be a William Rogers Spoon "WM Rogers"

Yeah I think they do but I'm not that interested in the spoons lol.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you guys beat the heat but were on fire with the finds. That is a lot of silver in just a spoon but the cut coin is the center piece. Looks like you have a new site. What were the age of the bottles and was it an umbrella style ink?
You have my vote.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wooo Hoooo Buckles on an AWESOME find . . . . .a part of a 8 reales with Nawleans COUNTERSTAMP!!! :thumbsup: I know you can't wait to get back ASAP! It's amazing to me how we can hunt an area and then find a find of a lifetime in the same area. It just goes to show you, no area is really hunted-out. CONGRATULATIONS, and now go find some more!!!
:)
Breezie

This was a new field for us. Now I cant wait to get back! I didnt expect such a big find for spanish #14 for the year!

Last edited:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh okay kewl deal !! Just wanted too see if it had "WM Rogers" on it surrounded by a eagle and star which would be from 1825 and 1841. Just wanted too see if i could come up with a time frame of that spoon since I collect William Rogers silverware from the 19th C. Anyway, good deal! Glad your hunt worked out for yah!! I bet the more you go back and hit it hard n slow you will produce more goodies indeed! Good luck and thanks for taking the time too spend with your daughter.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, great find. I put in my banner vote for you.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you guys beat the heat but were on fire with the finds. That is a lot of silver in just a spoon but the cut coin is the center piece. Looks like you have a new site. What were the age of the bottles and was it an umbrella style ink?
You have my vote.
HH
TnMtns

The bottles were turn of the century. Yes we were running thin on sites but they plowed up an important field so we will kick the can to next year on sites and hunt year round again. So many things have to work for that to happen as you know, from research and scouting to the cycles of plowing and planting and even luck with new permissions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh okay kewl deal !! Just wanted too see if it had "WM Rogers" on it surrounded by a eagle and star which would be from 1825 and 1841. Just wanted too see if i could come up with a time frame of that spoon since I collect William Rogers silverware from the 19th C. Anyway, good deal! Glad your hunt worked out for yah!! I bet the more you go back and hit it hard n slow you will produce more goodies indeed! Good luck and thanks for taking the time too spend with your daughter.

I think the spoons are early 20th c. PS: I am older than my fiance but not that much! LOL

Last edited:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic find Buck, you deserve to get those more often, out there in that heat. I can't wait to see what you bring up next, Rick found the Copper Mountain and I think you found the Silver Mountain.
Anyway, I am home babysitting my grandson and this is making my want to get on a colonial site really bad. Vote is in, it should be up on top soon I would expect.
Congrats and good hunting,
ZDD

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic find Buck, you deserve to get those more often, out there in that heat. I can't wait to see what you bring up next, Rick found the Copper Mountain and I think you found the Silver Mountain.
Anyway, I am home babysitting my grandson and this is making my want to get on a colonial site really bad. Vote is in, it should be up on top soon I would expect.
Congrats and good hunting,
ZDD

Thanks for your reply, Dave. I miss digging coppers sometimes!

Cheers,

Buck

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My god, what a find! Outstanding and a Banner vote from me was submitted! Good luck.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool piece, never seen one - big congrats!

How much do you think it might be worth (shame the countermarked eagle is faint)?

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a very rare, perhaps one of a kind variety! You have my banner vote!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats BB! What a find! I love to see these spanish silvers on here, but you got the icing on the cake! What i told you about the effort you put into your hunts.... :notworthy:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER!

I only just voted in time:laughing7: