Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had many requests this year to post a group shot showing all the colonial silver coins I've dug to date. Things started slowly after I dug my first one more than 15 years ago, but as I improved my research techniques and started getting into some early and untouched sites my finds began to increase. It took about 12 years to get to that magic 100 mark which I hit 3 years ago. Since then I dug 10 during the 2010-11 season, 15 more the following year, and an astounding 24 this past winter bringing the total to 149. It was difficult putting this pic together as I had these coins spread out in numerous displays, and had to take a lot of photos beforehand so I'd be able to put everything back in its proper place when I'm done with the group shots. It's still going to be a tough job with all those cut pieces that look very similar. Anyway, I decided to break the coins down into a few major categories which I thought was quite interesting, and these are summarized below. Also, FYI, these coins range in age from 1563 to about 1803.

- Hammered coins (including 7 from the 1500s): 20
- Other whole coins: 46
- Cut pieces: 65
- Cobs: 15
- Counterfeits: 3

(Note: If you're interested in seeing close-up details of the coins you can click on the attached image 2 or 3 times to fully enlarge the 4 MB file.)

It's going to be hard to keep up my recent pace, but I hope the extensive research I'm doing this summer will help me land on some new and very productive sites next season. I've decided to not set any goals for next year or for the long term, but will just let things play out and see where it goes. Besides, it's not all about finding the silver, but about the thrill of the hunt including all the investigative work that's so rewarding when it eventually pays off and leads you to the treasures you seek. I tell ya, October can't come soon enough. HH to all ..... Bill

Attachments

• 149 colonial silver coins.JPG
    149 colonial silver coins.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,149
Last edited:
Upvote 16

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing collection of colonial coinage. Makes me want to get out and do some hunting right now. Keep up the good work.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing would be an understatement for your finds. I have some fairly old spots I've found in NY and in the last month added 3 half reales and a 2 reale to my collection, but nothing that approaches what you have found. Interesting you found so many cut pieces. They really did do that hundreds of years ago to make change. When they found the HMS Feversham off the coast of Nova Scotia (sank in 1711) they found many cut pieces including a number of Massachusetts silver coins. Great finds!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Truly remarkable and dare I say probably unmatched by any other digger here in the US. If anyone thinks this comes easy you are greatly mistaken. I can't imagine the hours of research and actual searching that you have invested in these colonial silvers. You are so right about the excitement when your research pays off and you find a spot that you have read about or heard tales of. It is like opening a window to our countries early history. Congrats on your success and I look forward to seeing more of your amazing finds in the future.

beau-bc

Mar 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT&Deus for relics &coins
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Primo Hunting and Collection

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much to say here but WOW...Those silvers are amazing and finding so many from the 16th century...Just goes to show you, through hard work and preserverance that anything is possible... Thanks for taking the time to break your displays down to show us!...

cheers

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic collection Bill, your hard work and dedication really shines through. I would love to find just a fraction of that, you are a true insperation to us all:thumbsup:.
I will be hunting a colonial area in NH next week so I am hoping to bring home a Mass. shilling but I wont hold my breath.
Again great collection, thanks for showing it.
Dave

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Outstanding collection - you might consider putting it in a frame with a felt backing Bill. Thanks for sharing...

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
outstanding.gif
Outstanding collection - you might consider putting it in a frame with a felt backing Bill. Thanks for sharing...

That would look nice, but I need to keep the coins in their own separate displays organized by site to maintain the integrity of the finds. I do have a nice wooden display case with felt backing for 17 of the hammered coins that were all found at one site, and those coins will be returned to that location soon. But I might take the hi-res pic of all the coins and blow it up for framing.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
A very impressive collection of finds! Now the question is, how many Copper Colonial Coins did you find during the same time period? I would bet that that collection is very impressive as well! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Frank

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible collection after 15 years! :notworthy:
Hopefully someday I'll find my first.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend, that is truly a remarkable collection there. I know quite well how hard it is to keep up a pace. Maintaining in any area/profession/hobby is harder than succeeding in the first place. It takes way more planning, and it ceases to become about luck--or at least it can't, if one is to maintain the level. We will be facing the same dilemma in the future down here, and I don't look forward to that day. But for now, we'll enjoy it.

Congratulations on your truly astounding finds.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly amazing! Now if I could just find my first! Research obviously pays off, I need to take some time to do that. However after working a whole week Id rather go swing! I know sooner or later I'll have to buckle down & do some research once all my spots dry up...Thanks for sharing your treasure!

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Simply incredible! Thanks for sharing your achievements on hard work and research. Living here outwest I could not even imagine having hunts like yours. Congratulations.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super nice!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to make the picture happen Bill. I know how hard it is to take all the pieces from their individual frames, arrange them for the picture, and then return them to the proper frames. Here is the last group shot I took in 2009 when I had 42 pieces. I now have 54 Spanish and 1 William III English six pence, so maybe it's time for another group shot? I found my first Spanish silver in November 1989, so it's taken me 23 years to get 54 here in Pennsylvania. The only thing I seem to find more of than you is the 8 Reales. I have one complete 8 reale, and seven cut 8 reales.

Have you surpassed Stan yet in total colonial silver?

Attachments

• Spanish all-2-s.jpg
    Spanish all-2-s.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 98

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread