Tiny sterling thimble, clay marbles and a V

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I haven't posted, or even been on TNet for quite a while because, frankly, I haven't been out or found anything of note for I don't know how long. Recently, I've been doing some landscaping work for a lady and it's involved lots of sifting. I'm separating topsoil from stone and other debris in order to revive planting beds around her house (which is in the hundred year range). This has yielded a handful of clay marbles and a 1904 V nickel, none of which are surprises, really. These old houses just hide so many secrets! Some other gents had done some drainage work around the house and had turned up the soil in spots; even though I've already detected around the house, all our work has exposed dirt that was previously undetectable. For example, I pulled out a pair of rhododendrons and some azaleas, opening up new frontiers! Running my detector over some of the drainage dirt, I was pleasantly surprised to find my second silver thimble; this one's a size 6 and fits easily inside the 13 I found years ago. My goal is to get out with the detector more and slow down with all this work nonsense!

Attachments

• claythimble (small) (2).jpg
    claythimble (small) (2).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 483
  • clayv (Small).jpg
    clayv (Small).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and interesting story! Yes, it can be amazing how many non-metallic items we miss with our detectors!

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose....got to make some "U time" me bouy but then again bills have to be paid. Love the clay marbles and the timble is is great shape. Take care.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great little thimble. Seems like you have a great spot there. Yeah, stop all that work nonsense!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Surf, now that is a cool picture! Is that what the one I posted with stripes is, china? I don't know why my family portrait isn't showing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread