Recent CW Finds & A Cufflink?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got out recently to a Civil War site here in the Shenandoah Valley and found these two 58's and two 69's. Also found the other item shown here. Not sure what it is - cufflink? button? fastener of some type? It's got a little bit of gilt left on it and a sunburst like design on the back. Any help on dating and identifying it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• bullets_cuff_8-13.JPG
    bullets_cuff_8-13.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 79
  • cuff_8-13_1.JPG
    cuff_8-13_1.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 82
  • cuff_8-13_3.JPG
    cuff_8-13_3.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 87
  • cuff_8-13_4.JPG
    cuff_8-13_4.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Richard!! I'm sure you are looking forward to autumn in the valley and I'm looking forward to more of your videos with the girls performing the theme song. HH, Q.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Score ,man those are some clean bullets the soil out that way must be kind on relics !

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually, they were in water.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Richard!! I'm sure you are looking forward to autumn in the valley and I'm looking forward to more of your videos with the girls performing the theme song. HH, Q.

Thanks Quindy - actually, I've got quite a bit of hunting planned before the first frost. Yes, I've got enough footage for a video now, but can't find the time to put it together.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, anyone have any ideas on that small fastener type item?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, anyone have any ideas on that small fastener type item?

We were just discussing that type of "fastener" on Facebook and now that I see a complete one,not broken off like usually found, I think it is a fastener for perhaps leather boots and a slit in the leather and the fastener inserted and same with the flap side. Whatcha all think?

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We were just discussing that type of "fastener" on Facebook and now that I see a complete one,not broken off like usually found, I think it is a fastener for perhaps leather boots and a slit in the leather and the fastener inserted and same with the flap side. Whatcha all think?

Thanks Don - could be.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a victorian era three piece cufflink that has that same type of flat post in between.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a victorian era three piece cufflink that has that same type of flat post in between.
This is a tough one to say either way, that type of flat post is also on leather fasteners as I have mentioned. On FB, some on posted a broken one and I have found the same and always thought cufflink, but just not sure. VICTORIAN ERA! Naw, that is too modern Will. :)

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks BB - so mid to late 19th century? I found it right in the same area of the bullets. Quite a few Confederate soldiers were making haste to escape the yanks. Of course, it could be totally unrelated.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a tough one to say either way, that type of flat post is also on leather fasteners as I have mentioned. On FB, some on posted a broken one and I have found the same and always thought cufflink, but just not sure. VICTORIAN ERA! Naw, that is too modern Will. :)

It's hard to see in the pics I posted, but the back piece has an elaborate sunburst design on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread