Finds from today and some of my best 2013 finds in the latest edition of NST!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The picture of my finds in the current issue of North South Trader inspired me so today I hit 2 different spots close to home. Nothing major but it was nice to be out. I always love digging 69's and today at the end of the day I finally dug one of the big boys! The second to last signal under a log was a scabbard tip. And even though some people don't get excited about them .........I love digging these! When I was just starting out at the age of 16 I found a solid end to a Confederate scabbard tip. I thought it was a weird bullet for months until Gary at Governor's antiques told me what it really was. Never found another solid end to one since. This makes 5 scabbard tips I've dug this year! I also dug 4 modern quarters and 1 dime in one hole. I gave them and 2 bucky balls and a friction primer to the first landowner. It was a beautiful day to be digging! I've included a picture of the North South Trader picture of my finds including the gorgeous silver plated Vermont Hatpin and US Cartridge Boxplate I found this year. It was in the May-Jun 1984 issue of NST that finds my father and I had recently found were first published in the magazine. Here it is almost 30 years later and I am still trying to keep the tradition going. The last few weeks I've been somewhat unmotivated but as of yesterday I am officially in hunt mode again! I have 4 months to find that relic that will put me in contention for the 2013 relic of the year! Dave watch out good buddy......I'm on the move! LOL Also is a picture of a Wisconsin button I recently acquired. Man you need sunglasses to look at this button! It has a small tag attached to it stating it was found in Cold Harbor by none other that the legend and good friend of mine and many others Gary Williams! It looks great surrounded by other Northern buttons I have found mostly around Yorktown. The New Jersey National Guard is one of my favorites and one I wrote about in a short article published by Steve Sylvia in NST many years ago. Albert had said this button was late (1869) but because the backmark Farrant and Lester, was a company in Norfolk that was destroyed by the advancing Confederate forces in 1862, we know it is definitely period. I have found 2 of these buttons now- both excavated in the same camp where I found buttons from 6 other northern states. Thought the button lovers would love to see this picture also. On another note I finally put my name in the DIV raffle only to be on the alternate list on both
smilie2.gif
Oh well, I'm 10th alternate on the second hunt so maybe I have some hope. If I do go I'm going need to learn how to use my T2 or buy a new machine. I don't think my Nautilus will work to well in the red clay of Culpepper. Any suggestions? Later and HH Devonrex

Attachments

• DSCF0902.JPG
    DSCF0902.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF0909.JPG
    DSCF0909.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF0882.JPG
    DSCF0882.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 4

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds! Thanks for sharing! Keep Digging!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Dev and I recall drooling all over my North South Trader's Civil War Magazine when I saw your finds in "Recently Recovered Relics". WTG, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions