I GOT THE BOOT

King-John

Jan 14, 2007
Grass Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/X1 Probe, Whites 6000 XL pro, Ace 250,
Over the past two weeks while doing some jobs around the area I had noticed a site that is in a older part of town
(Grass Valley, Ca.) that looked as if a building had been removed, Its a small lot nestled between a couple of professional buildings, well after checking on a couple of jobs that I had coming up next week I stopped at this lot and decided to give it a shot, checked with a couple of people at professional builds to see if they knew who owned the lot nobody knew, there was no No Trespassing signs, no fences. After detecting for about 15-20 minutes, this mid aged man yells at me "Hey what are you doing, I told you guys to stay out of here." After explaining to him that I never been here before, He started telling me that someone had been there a couple of weeks ago DIGGING BIG HOLES, looking for bottles, that it took him a day to clean up the mess. I then showed him the spots I had been and showed that I was returning everything as the way I found it, his comment "if I let you I have to let everyone" I apologized and left, less then 5 min later the rain come back in. Here is what I found in the short time there, 4 Wheaties a small Pendant & awhatsit.
1001640jj6.jpg

1001641zq5.jpg

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I would have cased the lot a few nights to get a fell of the traffic. And then I would have hit it on a Sunday night or on a night that has the least traffic in that area.

HH

OP
OP
King-John

King-John

Jan 14, 2007
Grass Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/X1 Probe, Whites 6000 XL pro, Ace 250,
Why must we be so discrete about our hobby, one minute I got a bunch of kids following me around interested in everything I dig (lots of fun) the next you got someone thinking your up to no-good.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once again, an idiot has ruined a good site. I can't fathom the stupidity and/or careless disregard of those who refuse to fill in their holes. I don't care how big they are...you dig it, you fill it.

TBGO

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is bad enough that we have slobs not filling their holes, but we have archeologist's that think we are hogging history from the future generations.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey King, try going back and talking to the gentleman and asking for written permission, that way your covered and anyone else he see`s in there he can have the law on them. Cause it sure does look like u happened onto a nice honey hole. Heck for permission i would offer some of the finds to the gentleman.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
In California the Trespassing Law says that the Property Owner has an obligation to post property legally, down to the way the sing will be written. It also states that if the property you are on, is not yours, then you need written permission from the owner to be there.

Also, the owner, or his agent has to press charges against the trespasser. And, if the property is not posted legally, they can’t get a conviction. Even without the written permission. If someone asked me to leave, I just say sorry and leave. I try to avoid situations like that, and pesky kids too.

We should all know by now that if the Powers that be notice the sheep/us having fun, they’ll find a way to Tax or Ban it. Our motto should be, Out of site, Out of mind

This is how I understand the Law, but I’m a Mechanic not a Shark/Attorney.

Just my .000000000001¢

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.

The last time I got booted was from a school yard. I just recovered a 1903 Barber Dime when he came up behind me...damm headphones. Starts asking what I'm doing so I explain it and he states he does not want me there and the kids in the area are already making a mess of the grass by playing football. I tried to show him where I dug previously to show him that you really can't see the plugs I have cut but he did not want to hear about it. So now I just g back when it is really cold....figure he does not want to come out in the cold to bother me. But I have to agree I don't like causing any problems for the hobby so when someone asks me to leave even when I have permission I usually do. I would rather have the actual owner deal with their neighbors then myself.

NJ

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, gotta' follow the rules of THing.

If you can't get permission, or find the person who owns the property, you can't hunt it.

Sneaking in places in the night, and on off days only makes the hobby look bad for everyone else.

I doubt that guy will ever let anyone hunt that lot again.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Kas said:

If you can't get premission, or find the person who owns the property, you can't hunt it.

Sneaking in places in the night, and on off days only makes the hobby look bad for everyone else.

So true and SO SAD! I mean look what the place yeilded in just minutes! Imagine being able to actually hunt that puppy! At least it wasn't a metal detectorist who ruined it...or at least that isn;t what they were doing at the time...
~Nash~

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job before you left, maybe the holed thing is a large cent

HH
-GC

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Kas said:

If you can't get permission, or find the person who owns the property, you can't hunt it.

If it's not fenced or posted, you're not sneaking, just being discreet.

HH and remember, "Out of Sight, out of Mind".

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say respect the owners wishes, they're enough people out their already making the rest of us look bad. Nearly every time I go to the park with my detector, I see one or two holes that someone else failed to cover up.

Congrats on the few finds you were able to salvage though ...
~

Happy Hunting / Night Stalker

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I to hate looking over my shoulder to see if some one is rushing up to through us out. The last one was a nun. >:(

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Night Stalker said:
I would say respect the owners wishes, they're enough people out their already making the rest of us look bad. Nearly every time I go to the park with my detector, I see one or two holes that someone else failed to cover up.

Congrats on the few finds you were able to salvage though ...
~

Happy Hunting / Night Stalker

What I posted was meant for future sites that are open. Once you have been told to leave (kicked out) never go back unless you want to go to Jail. I just wanted to clear that up.

kmatcek

Greenie
May 5, 2006
Lufkin, TX
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
King-John said:
looked as if a building had been removed, Its a small lot nestled between a couple of professional buildings,

Whats sad is this will probably be a parkin lot or a quickie mart next month.

BarrySr

Greenie
Feb 4, 2007
Kingwood, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Well, I for one as a new convert to this hobby will pledge to fill in any obvious holes others leave while THing.

I'm headin' out now after a week of being sick. Let's go!!

BarrySr
Kingwood, TX

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not fenced or posted, you're not sneaking, just being discreet.

HH and remember, "Out of Sight, out of Mind".

No site should ever be hunted without permission.

Treasure hunter's code of ethics

I will respect private property and do no treasure hunting without the owner's permission.
I will fill all excavations
I will appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
I will use thoughtfulness, consideration, and courtesy at all times.
I will build fires in designated or safe places only.
I will leaves gates as found.
I will remove and properly dispose of any trash I find.
I will not Litter.
I will not destroy property,buildings, or what is left of ghost towns or deserted structures.
I will not tamper with signs, structural facilities, or equipment.

No need to be out of site or out of mind. With permission the hobby can be enjoyed, and one can be seen by all as a model of how THers conduct themselves in a proper manner.

IMHO- Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread