Hunt yields Native American and colonial artifacts plus gold and a surprise encounter

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend Reid and I were going to hit a local beach this morning but he had to back out due to a hand injury. So I figured I might as well give it a shot by myself since the salt water would probably be good for the 200+ seed tick bites I’ve been suffering with for the last 11 days. But after getting almost to the beach I realized I wasn’t sure if I had the permit I needed to hunt there so I stopped to check. Sure enough, I couldn’t find it, but since I was close to my colonial creek front site I figured I’d give it a shot since it had been almost a year since I last checked it. I spent about 90 min there and found plenty of the usual artifacts. I eyeballed another 75 pieces of Native American pottery as well as some 17[SUP]th[/SUP] and 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century colonial pottery and glass including some early tin-glazed earthenware pieces. I was also able to dig 4 tombac buttons and a piece from a colonial frame buckle. I also brought my new 250 lb magnet and tried pulling it across a small section of the beach that was loaded with iron which had produced some great finds in the past. I was very impressed with its ability to pick up both small and large iron, and I could only pull it a few feet before having to clean off all the “clingers”. That’s how I found the colonial buckle piece that had apparently been masked by the iron, so I definitely plan to go back and try that strategy more aggressively next time. When I returned to my truck I was looking in the tool box and surprisingly found my permit attached to another pouch. So I decided to make a quick run to the beach even though it was an hour past low tide. I hunted in up to chest-deep water for a couple of hours, and the targets were very few. But I did manage to save the day by digging a large but thin 14kt gold wedding band in ankle deep water. While I was hunting the wet sand I happened to have a chance encounter with NFL football great and hall-of-famer Bruce Smith who played college ball at my alma mater Virginia Tech who was walking the beach. I think my VT shirt and hat caught his eye. Bruce was one of the investors that started a new development at this beach a couple of years ago, and he may own a house there. So all and all it was a fun and productive day. I tried to put together a 10 min video of my creek front hunt, but it was quite herky-jerky from trying to film with one hand and detect with the other. Need a head mount for sure. But you can check it out anyway to at least get an idea of what this site is like. Here's the link to that followed by a pic of the creek finds and gold ring. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 091213a.JPG
    091213a.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 091213d.JPG
    091213d.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 091213e.JPG
    091213e.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 234
  • 091213c.JPG
    091213c.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 10

nmdsrtrat

Jan 26, 2013
SW, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I; Whites Classic IDX
Cool finds. I like the magnet idea, i'll have to try that soon.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a gold ring, that's something I haven't got this year.

What is the "handle thing" similar to a drawer pull in picture 3. I ask because I found the exact same awhile back.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your getting warmed up for the fall season with some great finds. When do you usually start hunting your colonial sites?
ZDD

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I see your getting warmed up for the fall season with some great finds. When do you usually start hunting your colonial sites?
ZDD

Good morning Dave. We might have a couple of fields where the corn will be cut later this month, but after that it might take a while to get into a lot of other sites. Most other fields around here are planted in cotton or soybeans, and its usually Nov or Dec before they become available. So fall is usually slow to start but things will pick up dramatically after Thanksgiving. And I plan to hit things hard this winter and get out at least 3-4 times a week. What about you guys?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Dave. We might have a couple of fields where the corn will be cut later this month, but after that it might take a while to get into a lot of other sites. Most other fields around here are planted in cotton or soybeans, and its usually Nov or Dec before they become available. So fall is usually slow to start but things will pick up dramatically after Thanksgiving. And I plan to hit things hard this winter and get out at least 3-4 times a week. What about you guys?
Thanks to a shorter growing season the fields are starting to get harvested now. I plan on getting out a few times next week and hit a some colonial spots with Romeo and Rick. We have had some very good luck so far this year and the best season is right around the corner.
I plan on a dive Sunday if the seas calm down after TS Gabrielle passes over the area but plan "B" will be dirt diving.
Sooo many fields and not enough time.
HH
Dave

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, congrats on the ring

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Great video Bill:thumbsup:

I feel like i was there..

Did i miss the magnet part??

I would really like to see it in action..

I save all my pottery and we dont find it like that here in Northern RI...

Blaze

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a gold ring, that's something I haven't got this year.

What is the "handle thing" similar to a drawer pull in picture 3. I ask because I found the exact same awhile back.

I believe it is a drawer pull Rick.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to a shorter growing season the fields are starting to get harvested now. I plan on getting out a few times next week and hit a some colonial spots with Romeo and Rick. We have had some very good luck so far this year and the best season is right around the corner.
I plan on a dive Sunday if the seas calm down after TS Gabrielle passes over the area but plan "B" will be dirt diving.
Sooo many fields and not enough time.
HH
Dave

Sounds like a nice problem to have Dave. Good luck to you guys and be careful under water.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great video Bill:thumbsup:

I feel like i was there..

Did i miss the magnet part??

I would really like to see it in action..

I save all my pottery and we dont find it like that here in Northern RI...

Blaze

Thanks JB. I took 2 video clips when using the magnet but when I downloaded them they were only 2-3 seconds long for some reason so I couldn't use them. The magnet has a large eye hook on top that I tied a small piece of rope to for dragging it around, but it didn't work that great in that environment with the beach being loaded with oyster shells, brick pieces, rocks, etc. But it picked up the iron like you wouldn't believe. Even giant spikes 5" long and 1/2" wide were grabbed. And it wasn't just getting the surface stuff - it was pulling much of it from down in the muck. I need to rig up a better way to pass it over spots like that, but I can see it will definitely be a worthwhile tool. Even when digging pits it can help to separate the tremendous amounts of iron that are present that can mask the good targets. But you need to be careful to keep it away from your detector and coil, your phone, camera, etc, as I'm afraid it would do a number on any equipment or device like that. And in case you're interested, I picked up the magnet at Harbor Freight Tools for $15-20. And props to Herbie (steelheadwill) for recommending it.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries Bill. It's starting to cool down up here and I'm starting to get the itch!

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, pretty sure that was your article in the recent E-W Treasures magazine. Enjoyed it very much!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, pretty sure that was your article in the recent E-W Treasures magazine. Enjoyed it very much!

Yep - that was me. Had one in both the Sep and Oct issues.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good stuff there Bill - nothing wrong with the video. Enjoyed it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread