🥇 BANNER SIG SEMPER TYRANNIS VIRGINIA (plate)

Gary1963

Jan 3, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030 XP Deus Garrett Pin Pointer
Phiranna
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130927_204514.png
    ForumRunner_20130927_204514.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 723
  • ForumRunner_20130927_204531.png
    ForumRunner_20130927_204531.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Upvote 20

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad this one picked back up! I was afraid it would get lost in the shuffle. I hate to sound ignorant, but can a jr. Member such as myself nominate this as a banner find? I would have as soon as I saw it on here last night, but not sure how it works. Again, absolutely AWESOME! From a fellow Virginian, i know you'll treasure that find!

Hope you will nominate. The last one dug and posted slipped through the cracks. Sometimes the moderators on here don't know what they're looking at, unless the find is silver or gold, and the same goes for other members who don't know to nominate for the banner. Hope you will click "nominate for banner" and submit. Everyone who does so will help this fantastic find's chances of making it up top.

Cheers,

Buck

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my vote in! Makes me want to go dig right now!

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on an awesome find. My banner vote is in.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on such an awesome find... and congrats on making the banner as well. Very well deserved! :thumbsup:

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting your find in the Banner, it's up there where it should be, keep us updated on if you get it repaired, etc.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went into my cw shop today in Stafford & asked Nicky about this and told him what the condition it was in.. He said even in the condition it is in, probably worth close to $3,000, I don't know if you should even get it repaired, you do face the risk of damaging it more and even repaired the value may go up only slightly.. He told me years ago he knew another civil war shop dealer who had one (i think it was non-dug) and was asking $9,000 for it but in the end he got around $7,000 for it. It is totally up to you if you want to get it repaired or not - but I would def. make sure whoever is doing it will be able to do it right.. Before you think about getting it repaired stop by "Regimental Headquarters" in Stafford and talk to Nick. He is owned the shop and been in the business almost 40 years and is mentioned in many CW artifact books and buckle books, he can tell you your best options,etc at no charge at all...

Southie E.J.

May 16, 2011
South Boston Ma
Detector(s) used
WHITES COINMASTER, MINELABS 705, and ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold my Virginia Cross Belt plate for $3K! Could've gotten a lot more for it if I didn't restore it! Its rare and very valuable! You might be able to get $7K!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would trust it to no one other than Robert McDaniel or Roland Frodigh. PM Tnet member VOL1266-X and he can give you Robert's contact info.

Cheers,

Buck

Leonard Short is easily in that category, and I have probably seen more done by him lately than the other two. The great thing is being thin brass it can probably be worked back straight... although if it were mine and for sale, depending on the chances I think it could break, I'd probably fight for the best price and pass the risk on to who bought it.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the best finds i've see in a while as far as relic hunting is concerned. This is a great piece of history and glad to see it recovered. You got my banner vote

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Gary1963

Gary1963

Jan 3, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030 XP Deus Garrett Pin Pointer
Phiranna
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys for all the nominations to have it moved to banner.:thumbsup: I'm still researching who I'll have do the repair. After learning the history and rarity of what I found it was hard to fall asleep last night

Last edited:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I know a professional relic restoration guy if you need one.

Flathead25

Mar 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leonard Short is easily in that category, and I have probably seen more done by him lately than the other two. The great thing is being thin brass it can probably be worked back straight... although if it were mine and for sale, depending on the chances I think it could break, I'd probably fight for the best price and pass the risk on to who bought it.

After lots of "Google'ing", I agree with be very careful on the decision to get your plate repaired. It looks like it was stamped from heavy gauge brass sheet and very well crafted. I posted a Confederate spur on here a few weeks ago that was in two pieces. The part I "forgot" to leave out was that the spur was actually one piece (still not a full spur) that had been repaired with heavy brass sheet and brass rivot. Like the MORON that I am, i tried to bend the pieces back together. It made it 3/4's of the way and......snap! I later found out it was a pretty rare spur. I have a pretty good feeling that any repair to your plate will require heat and probably enough to leave obvious marks to the beautiful patina on your very rare plate. If you do decide to get it repaired, I would ask for detailed repair procedures and even some examples of a similar repair. Of course.....just my two cents. By the way, my boss asked me why I haven't been answering my cell phone after 4 pm the past couple of days. I told him, "I can't hear my phone ring with my headphones on".....he didn't get it. Thanks alot Gary1963! You gave me the "sickness" again!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one I remember seeing dug .Remarkable recovery!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend that had a CSA plate in very rough shape restored by Mr Short and I was amazed by his work,Great craftsman .
Leonard Short
540-230-5442
[email protected]

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Gary ! Man you must have found the right spot !

bluescruise

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Vancouver, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, White's Prizm II, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer find! I am so jealous of you guys on the east coast. 1850 or so is real old on this side of the country. Great job

Happy hunting!

BC

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread