SWEET BATWING BUCKLE & relic from 1700 site and 2 SILVER !

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all ... I need some help with this bat wing buckle i dug up today ..at a 1700 sight ..what was it used for ? and is it 1700 or early 1800 ?.. what in the world is this cool looking thing ...it is very ornate.. flowers and things all over it ... how old is it and what was it for ?... ...all I know is these are 2 of the coolest relics I have ever dug !...dug to silver 1 at the 1700 site and 1 at a old park.. both are 1951 :icon_scratch:.. what ever i will take them lol...dont know if this is a button or whatever . let me know ..and I dug over 6 $ in clad ..ordered some Gray Ghost Amphibian Headphones and a Predatortools Piranha :laughing7:! sweet good day for me

you can click on the pics up to 3 time to make them bigger ..thank you all very much for your help on this one.. and thanks for looking :hello:

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg 2013-10-10_20-56-54_337.jpg 2013-10-10_20-57-14_694.jpg

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ornate item very well could be a watch fob, with the center stone/bead missing. It also looks like it could be a watch winder looking at the piece.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.... love that batwing buckle! :thumbsup:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice batch of quarters you have there.

OP
OP
silversurfer1111

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ornate item very well could be a watch fob, with the center stone/bead missing. It also looks like it could be a watch winder looking at the piece.

wow thank you .. good info

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the little ornate piece ill say watch winder with a broken stem. A very nice one at that.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's a watch winder. The stem is whole, but the "spinner" bead/jewel is missing.

OP
OP
silversurfer1111

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful "batwing" th_great_4.gif

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Superb Finds - WOW! :wav:

I think the batwing belt buckles were worn by large bats to hold up their warm woolen trousers when sleeping in icy cold caves -- flaw in my theory is that since they sleep upside down, their trousers wouldn't fall off even without the batwing belt buckles, lol.
:tongue3: (Sorry for inane humor -- it's been a long, chaotic week & skewed levity has arrived.)

HAVE FUN! Andi

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK everyone knew I would bite first.:laughing7:

Yes watch winder as others stated, it's possible but I have not seen a match that its 18th C.

Batwing - these are a 'common ish' find on mid-19th C sites. This has been seen many times on here, specially on sites that never started in the 18th C. Now, even if your site never continued into the mid-19th C I would be happier dating it to this period than assuming a tacked up horse (these are horse harness buckles) made it to an 'unknown' area (possible but far less probable). These buckles follow the classic manufacturing norms of most old horse buckles, ie they are made from brass & many have iron pins. The clincher would be the off-set bar (for thick leather) which many of these display, your looks like it doesn't have this but it's not enough of a difference to argue it's anything else. IMO. However, the lack of an off-set bar gives enough doubt to those who wish to place it in the Rev War period & to military use. I have yet to see a reliable reference/source that convinces me that this style of buckle started off in the 18th C as a military buckle & ended up in the 19th C as a commonly used horse harness buckle. Possible? but unlikely I think. It does mean that if you found it on a battle site you could sell it for far more than its worth & even being a house site someone will pay you good money believing its Rev War.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buckle and the watch winder is awesome

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive found 3 of those batwing type buckles at home sites, 2 under huge trees in the front yard sections and 1 in a field, my belief has always been "horse tac related" but the areas i hunt are all military tract issued land to service men for thier service in the Rev war. No silver plated ones have been posted on here that i know of, just plain brass ones, a buckle to fasten a strap that big points me in the direction of it being horse related.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread