Beautiful 1872 Indian!!!...CW Buckle..Coins & Tokens

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This a collage of the last two days of hunting. Yesterday I hit a site I knew wasn't very old but I had permission for it since the farmer had other sites on his land. It was in corn and it had a ton of iron and I wasn't gonna stay for very long. I got the 1903 Indian and a couple of late 1800s merchant tokens. Neither was in the Ohio Token book but they were pretty neat finds no doubt. Later in the day I hit a couple of other sites that looked promising but only snagged 3 indians, the 1864 fatty, 1863 and the 1882.

Today was AWESOME! I got to a site that had a house on the 1856 map but gone by 1880. The farmer heard through the years that the house was moved off there and across the street (still standing today). Well I found the site and I started hitting flat buttons right off the bat. One ended up being a real sweet political button with E PLURIBUS UNUM on the back with the word "AMERICAN" around the shank. I also ended up finding the 1863 CW patriotic token sometime within the first 10 minutes of being there. Next came some coins. The first coin I got was the 1865 Indian "I believe", then came the most valuable find of my career. A sweet full liberty 1872 Indian. I couldn't believe it. The 1860 fatty, and 1852 LC came a little while later followed by the heartbreak of the day. A sweet CW buckle broke in half just like my other one. Hopefully I can have better luck finding the other half of this one.

I'm now down to 5 Indians for my dug set. The 1860 and 1872 were new additions

1869, 1877, 1886, 1908s, 1909s

Attachments

• DSC_0233.JPG
    DSC_0233.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC_0242.JPG
    DSC_0242.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_0258.JPG
    DSC_0258.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC_0253.JPG
    DSC_0253.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0272.JPG
    DSC_0272.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC_0286.JPG
    DSC_0286.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC_0285.JPG
    DSC_0285.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0278.JPG
    DSC_0278.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_0273.JPG
    DSC_0273.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,166
Upvote 21

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great bunch of finds and the 1872 is very sweet

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....... awesome stuff right there. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very cool that you've found almost a complete set of Indians :)

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds bud, Sorry 'bout your buckle, Maybe the other half is around close......................HH

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All nice finds. Congratulations on the 1872! I have one that was found by my dad back in the eighties in Albany Georgia.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some STELLAR huntin there bud!!!! Hard to ask for anything more ( except that buckle being whole ) LOL... CONGRATS... HH

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Hey Nooberz,

Great hunt, sir.

That John F. Shively token is particularly evocative.

"LIMA — The 1900s did not begin well in Kossuth.The village had high hopes at the end of the 1800s, voting to incorporate in 1897 and electing town officers like a clerk and councilmen.It was trying to shake off its reputation, perhaps tiring of its being well known as a small place with a lot of saloons along the Miami-Erie Canal. But a murder spooked everyone once again.The Delphos Herald reported Nov. 6, 1901, that hotel/saloon owner John Shivley was “shot down this morning at 4 o'clock while defending his property from thieves and died in a few minutes.”The Lima Times-Democrat also had the story that same day. That report said he heard a ruckus from his family's quarters and came out to see what was afoot. He was confronted by the burglars. “Mr. Barrett overheard one of the men say, ‘Stand back or I'll shoot,'” the story reported. Seconds later, “there was a fusilade and supposition was that Mr. Shively did not heed the order but crossed purposes with the men who made good their threat.” The Auglaize Republican reported his wife ran out after hearing the shots, and the men cursed her and told her to get away or they'd shoot her too. The men — perhaps two, perhaps four — grabbed liquor and cigars and made off in the direction of St. Marys. They stole another buggy and a fresh horse outside St. Marys, officers found, but then the trail went cold.“John F. Shively was a man of large acquaintance, well liked by all who knew him, a staunch and liberal friend, always standing ready to lend a helping hand, and words of regret were heard on all sides. He was born in Auglaize County 45 years ago,” The Spencerville Journal-News reported. He was laid to rest at the German Methodist Episcopal Church, mourned by his wife and six children.Authorities from all over the area took interest, eager to find the men who were capable of such bold violence. They quickly offered a $500 reward for the capture and conviction of the robbers.Lima Police Chief Walter Mills supposed the men to be from Lima because the rig they rode into Kossuth with was stolen from the William H. Breese farm just south of Lima. A young man, employed by the farm, was briefly suspected but soon cleared.“The men, if caught, will probably be lynched as excitement is very high,” a newspaper reported Nov. 8, 1901.Later in November, a gang tried to rob the Citizen's Bank in Minster, attempting to blow the safe with nitroglycerin, but a night watchman fired his rifle upon them and soon had all kinds of backup from other citizens. The would-be robbers were driven out of town. Was this gang responsible for Shively's murder?This same gang tried to rob a bank at Wilmington, and some of them were caught in that caper. Authorities suspected they were the murderers from Kossuth, but real evidence was nil — until one of their number gave a statement at the State Penitentiary in 1904. On the night before the Kossuth killing, they were drinking on Lima's south side. They walked out into the country, stole the buggy from Breese, drove to Kossuth and killed Shively. They changed horses in Kossuth and drove to St. Marys, leaving the rig outside of town and walking in. Two of the men had lost their hats — a necessary item of clothing in those days — so one went into a clothing store and bought two caps. One boarded a passenger train headed to Lima. One walked to Lima through the countryside. One hid in the woods until dusk then stole a dinner pail, to pretend to be a laborer, and boarded a freight train for Lima. And on about their lives as ne'er-do-wells they went.Authorities never were able to pin the crime on the men, but justice was done, in a sense.Three men — Thomas Sweeney, James Price and John Henderson (among their many aliases) — were sentenced to the Ohio Pen for robbing a railroad depot at Wilmington. Sweeney and Price died in prison. Henderson served his time and was released.A small news item published Aug. 24, 1934, reported Charles Henderson, alias John Jones, alias James Henderson — was found dead in a straw stack on the Herman DeLong farm near Cridersville. The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation identified him through fingerprints.The man, about 60 years old, had ended his own life by putting a revolver to the right side of his head." Rough and tumble Kossuth -

624px-Fem_midsommarfirande_vägarbetare_i_ateljén._Vägbygget_gick_mellan_Lima_och_Rörbäcksnäs%2C_1901-1905_-_Nordiska_Museet_-_NMA.0052748.jpg

OP
OP
Nooberz

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Surf, I have actually heard of this story but never put 2 and 2 together. The token also was found a stones throw from Kossuth.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from ohio too and not far from you and in the last week I've found two general service civil war buttons in same field along with lots of Indians and a 1867 shield nickel. It's going to take me awhile to hunt this site it's full of iron trash but its a fun place to hunt because everything I find is 1800s. Your finds are awesome I hope I can find more civil war items.

OP
OP
Nooberz

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the video of the hunt.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible finds! Hope you can find some more of the buckle. I dream of goodies like that!

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Indians! I'd say you had a great day!

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of relics there , those plows really do some damage ... what a shame on that buckle but hey maybe the next one might be CS ....

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great site! Great hunt! Great story! Thanks for posting the story Surf. Both the 1865 and 1872 Indians were lost very early into circulation. This is the kind of site where you go back and go back and then go back again. I'm sure there's still a lot of great finds there. Congrats!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, I have a friend who would like to talk to you about the JNO. F SHIVELY token. The name on the Token is his Great Grand Father. Please get a hold of me I go by the name of Ringfinder and live north of Lima.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread