60 Sinkers =14 lbs of lead and opened up some "beach cookies"

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew....only out for about 3 hours today and found quite a nice LARGE pocket of lead fishing weights! There were a few coins and some other things mixed in but mostly the greymatter. Ended up digging well over 100 targets and 60 of em were lead and weighed a whopping 14 lbs....nedless to say as I left the beach with my pouch banging against my leg, I was hoping my belt buckle or loops on the pouch wouldn't give way!

There is a dredge working a ways down the beach opening up one of the channels and blowing the sand up on the beach where it is being spread around. So far all the other looters (5 of us today) haven't been finding much more than lead and some coins. Still hopeful though!
20131103_143921.jpg 20131103_144900.jpg 20131103_145024.jpg

Here are some "beach cookies" I had from 2 previous hunts. Most of theme were so far gone that they just fell apart with nothing discernible inside. Biggest surprise was the knife...i just figured it was a piece of pipe or something!
20131103_143908.jpg 20131103_150016.jpg

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm.....Beach Cookies....I like that!...............HH

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My buddy would love having you as a friend! He molds his own fishing jigs, so I give him all the lead I find, but 14 pounds would last him quite a while. You'd think you'd find some nice jewelry mixed in. I bet it's there, keep hunting.

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice on all the lead! I dig quite a bit of that up (Land of 10,000 lakes and all...) haha. Also my great grandfather was a well driller, he used lead in some part of his drilling so I'm told... So I find huge globs of bowl-shaped lead all over the place. I have no idea what to do with it all lol.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I must have 70 or 80 lbs of the stuff now. I know some have been selling it on ebay and other places. Some people do like your buddy, just melt it down and pour in new molds, others like the really old looking ones and put them in display cases and whatnot. I'll figure something out I'm sure. Imagine with all the fisherman, divers and hunters in the area someone will want it ALL for fish/dive weights or maybe even to cast their own bullets. May have to put something on Craigslist...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been going to a dredging site on the Atlantic recently too. The lead has been found in "pockets". I've had the same experience you did. One of the "old timers" said the corps pulls the lead and stuff by the bucket out of their screens and, well, they're supposed to be hauling off the lead, etc. but they take their bucket of "stuff" from the screens and dump it nearby after cleaning out the screens. That would explain why the lead in concentrated in an area which has not yet been subject to flooding, etc. I had a hole last year I finally quit getting the lead out of because there was so much of it. There was nothing 3' in either direction, either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread