Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been spending a lot of time out in the "field of dreams" with Oxbowbarefoot but he couldn't get out today so I hit my draped bust dime site. I almost forgot what great history I have in my own back yard but this was a good reminder. Things started slow then I got a solid 77 on the at pro at 8 inches and got this liberty cap, a half cent to boot. Only my second one the other being an 1803. Now it's time to hit this place hard. Grabbed a few tombacs a big pewter button, and a 1787 connecticut copper with great detail. Hard to believe the CT and the liberty cap were only feet away and are in completely different shape. The next was a big surprise because I always say these old time farmers didn't have much money and silver is hard to come by. SILVER SPOON!! No way!! Couldn't believe it. The only marks are the MC. I did a little research and have a few possibilities on the maker but not certain. Maybe the MC is just someone's initials and not a makers mark. Any thoughts? Unfortunately I was about out if time and had to make the trip down the mt. It was pretty hard leaving when things were just picking up. Oh we'll there's always next time and the trip don't seem so bad when there's finds like this waiting.

image-4269838123.jpg

image-1326899510.jpg

image-850704152.jpg

image-2222388650.jpg

image-124373646.jpg

image-943752520.jpg

image-1149710085.jpg

image-4269047167.jpg

image-3520937442.jpg

Upvote 16

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds congratulations! :icon_thumright:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Connecticut copper as well as the silver spoon. Those initials would have been for the family or person for whom the spoon was made.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Steve is correct , I would add that normally makers marks were stamped in rather than engraved- I'm a bit surprised to see the engraved initials on the underside of the handle , rather than up top .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Greylock

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Steve is correct , I would add that normally makers marks were normally in rather than engraved- I'm a bit surprised to see the engraved
initials on the underside of the handle on your spoon .

Thought that was a bit odd too

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Good for you man,that CT copper is super nice dude,nice monogrammed Silver too!!

God Bless

Chris

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spoon is an oldie though - you didn't put that slice in it did you?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking CT, and in decent condition you have the added bonus of getting to ID it!

OP
OP
Greylock

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spoon is an oldie though - you didn't put that slice in it did you?

Ya I'd say dates with all the other finds from that spot. The spoon came out like that. Too bad the half cent it toast.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Those are some quality finds...love the condition of that Connecticut copper...silver spoon and the half cent and buttons aren't too bad either...nice hunt...Congrats

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya I'd say dates with all the other finds from that spot. The spoon came out like that. Too bad the half cent it toast.

The PLOW will get you:laughing7:

There have been some survivors though,as you have seen yourself,such a long way to drive suckin gas,for now I'm going to start looking around here,got some cool finds last couple hunts,you had poor folks up that way,surely someone buried a stash somewhere,now find it!!:laughing7:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some real nice finds there Graylock, keep them coming.
ZDD

OP
OP
Greylock

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PLOW will get you:laughing7:

There have been some survivors though,as you have seen yourself,such a long way to drive suckin gas,for now I'm going to start looking around here,got some cool finds last couple hunts,you had poor folks up that way,surely someone buried a stash somewhere,now find it!!:laughing7:

Oh I'm looking for it. I did find a handful of coins in a hole before. Not that old but pre 1900's.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very good hunt.

I don't think your half cent is toast, you can easily tell what it is, it just looks bad sitting beside that very nice CT. Good find.

I got a couple of monogrammed pieces this year, the "ship" spoons' mono was also on the underside.

OP
OP
Greylock

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very good hunt.

I don't think your half cent is toast, you can easily tell what it is, it just looks bad sitting beside that very nice CT. Good find.

I got a couple of monogrammed pieces this year, the "ship" spoons' mono was also on the underside.

Probably should have taken separate photos. I seen it. It was a great find.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, the spoon is early and the Ct, copper has awesome detail way to go mister!!! HH
BK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread