image-926087638.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 3

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , I especially like the Hammer- Pick

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Cool finds! :icon_thumleft: :occasion18: :hello2: Maybe the guy intended to return but got busy elsewhere? :dontknow:

Looking forward to seeing your future finds from that area! Andi

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospecting tools while metal detecting. I think the detecting fairies are trying to tell you something. I would be stocked to find all of those kind of tools. Congrats. I just found a fillet knife yesterday, nothing near as cool as that stuff.

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty typical of most Mining Camps, tons of Garbage and Tin Cans galore. It's needs more visits, that's for sure! Snow and frozen ground coming tonight! I need to research it a bit, because the Farthing is kind of confusing.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are a way cool find. I'm sure they have a lot of history behind them.
-MM-

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple pics of the Farthing. I must admit, I had no idea what a Farthing was.

Attachments

• image-2808270680.jpg
    image-2808270680.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2229860304.jpg
    image-2229860304.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 110

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detail on the coin is out standing! Guess they closed up for the season and never came back. The awesome part, the tools are just as good and usable as when they were buried, now that's quality!

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must apologize for the coin pic, my PC is on the fritz, especially with TNet. The "tails" side of the Farthing has some crud build-up, I actually took a Sonicare toothbrush, and brushed it up a bit. And I do plan on putting the Pick-Hammer back in action.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the coin and the tools.

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try that, might be a few months from now, as the Snow is piling up for the Winter.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
On the bottom right with the hammerhead,that is a poll pick typically used by cousin jacks or CornishmenThe other pick heads are drifting picks.The handsteel is either a moil or gad,can't tell from the pic.

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, Dave. Here's another picture of the Moil or Gad, and a couple others that I found today, at another spot. Still having PC problems so it's just phone pics.

Attachments

• image-3008342383.jpg
    image-3008342383.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2269350715.jpg
    image-2269350715.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 69

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Seems like all your missing is a star bit which is used to hand drill holes for blasting.The sledge is really called a double jack in hard rock mining and a smaller one would be a single jack.Both named after the cousin jack miners from Wales.In mining and rock breaking in the old days one fellow held the long steel and the other used the hammer.therefore two cousin jacks double jacking...and a person using a smaller hammer,usually 3-5 pounds was singlejacking,as in prospecting quartz veins for gold.Experienced miners were in short supply so a fellow would tell the boss I have a cousin jack who can do that,so all the miners from Wales and even other countries were called cousin Jack's.something along those lines anyway.these tools are getting harder to find.In the old west mining camps hand drilling contests were held.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice collection of hard rock mining tools, looking at the spurs on the chisel in the latest pictures it shows that it's taken a good number of blows from the hammer to obtain the mushroom cap.
It's an another time that the passion/gold fever ran heavy in the men's blood and it drove them on day after day looking for the gold.

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! My Mother's family arrived here in the 1860's, after leaving their home in Wales. Guess I better study up a little.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
I've found many hand steels and pick heads over the years in the California motherlode gold country and what's of interest is that most after laying in a tailings pile or the ground for 80 years or more still held their temper.A mine of any size had it's own blacksmith shop.Not many people these days no how to temper a mining tool properly.To hard and the point breaks off..to soft and the point bends......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_diaspora

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread