Found my first wheat cent today.

Truk58

Nov 9, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to hobby and only been hunting over the past week. Last Saturday I spent a long time at a modern school and found lots of trash and some newer coins, I have also been searching my yard when I get home from work, but only have about a half hour before it is too dark to see. I have a Fisher F2 that came with and 8" coil and 4" coil... was using the 8" coil up until yesterday when I started using the smaller coil... it seems to work better at separating signals so I can pinpoint the good targets to dig. Tonight, after about a half hour it was almost dark out, and then I dug two wheat pennies out of holes about a foot apart, one was a 1944 and the other is a 194?. I know they are nothing special, but I was really excited to find them.... if there are wheat cents, there is going to be a silver dime or something else good... it's a really fun hobby so far, and I can only see it getting better from here. I should have started years ago.

Upvote 8

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There ya go, even the best hunters found a first wheat, you could be that next best hunter!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wheaties will be fun until you turn up silver, or Indian Head pennies, or a gold ring. Then you'll be looking for Barbers and Morgans, then diamonds, and it keeps going. I recommend you start a journal-- record what you found, when and where you found it. Years from now those first wheats will still bring a rush!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! If you are finding wheat cents ya you have a Shot at old silver, and more! Do keep a note book on what you find and where, like lab rat said, it helps you see where your more productive places are, and what you found and when. HH!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who says wheats aren't anything special? I LOVE finding them. They let me know they've probably been there for awhile and everyone else has missed them! Thanks for sharing with us and remember: we like pics!
Welcome to the hobby and forum.

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the first wheat I found metal detecting!! Keep at it, research the area is the key! And when you find your first silver, you'll know it by that shine mixed in with dirt! Stay Persistant - congrats on your find :-)

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wheat cents are still fun for me even though I have dug 100s and have bought many more. When you find a wheat cent it also indicates "older ground". They also remind me of when I just wished to dig one.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Congrats and welcome to the addiction! Hope you find your first silver soon.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Yep agreed. I love wheaties. I have been detecting for about 10 years now, and I still get a thrill digging them. Anything they don't make anymore and you dig it up after it has been in the ground for years is special IMO. I figure most folks on this forum would agree.

Congrats on your finds.

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first coin I ever found with a metal detector was a 1942 wheat cent in my yard. Congrats o you and hope to see more finds!!

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Lil Trivia for you to make your find more valuable. 1909 Was the First year for the Wheats! The Wheat was the first US coin ever to feature an American President on it ;) Love my Wheats! You will find more! Now try to get every year made as a goal ;) If you can post a photo of yours since it is your first

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1909 wheat is rather unusual in the fact that they made IHC's that year too. Congrats on a first, I hope you find many many more, so many more in fact that you wont even remember your first.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the Wheaties! These are special finds as your first old coins. Keep at it and good luck! I hope you find silver soon :icon_thumright:

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And remember certain 43 and 44 wheat cents are VERY valuable. Look it up. I want to find one of those babies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueblood

Oct 10, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take a wheatie any day over another one of those stinkin lincolns.

OP
OP
T

Truk58

Nov 9, 2013
Butler, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm happy to see that there is such a great community around metal detecting.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truk, I think you won't find a better bunch of people anywhere!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions