Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soooo.....we're all waiting.... ;)

Yea... let's get this cap off... look... take pics... video... JUMP IN... wish I was there to help. I'd be the 1st to go down and look around (no negative comments) if you haven't gone deeeeep into a cave on your belly for 1.5 hrs.

Irony

Jan 4, 2014
Southeastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce, Dalyn digger, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the cistern contingent is right! Glad you were able to push lid over and get some pics safely :-)

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. Go back in the summer after a good drought to see what it looks like. Sound like a job for some rope & a magnate.

diggermatt

Apr 16, 2014
Or you could just bring a generator out there and a pump...if its to far out, go snorkeling....lol

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just discovered this thread and am also interested, even if it is a cistern.

I have a hole in my yard covered by a concrete and rebar slab that I assume is an old well. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that the house I'm in is the only recorded structure to be on the property, ant it was only built in '87.

We do have a well, and it is located not too far from this other hole, maybe 10 feet. I lifted the lid a little and could see it was several feet deep and water in it. I didn't investigate further because I was not prepared with a light and tools and stuff in case if snakes.

I haven't had a chance to check it out further, but can't find any record of another well hole. The septic is behind the house, a good 40-50 feet away.

I don't expect this to be anything but an old well but would like to know more about it. Anyone who puts in wells that can chime in about this that doesn't mind educating me, I wouldn't mind hearing ideas.

If it is an old well, and I can see water in it, could I hook up a hand pump to it to draw water out if the electric was out? I live in a rural part of North Central Florida. You can't dig too far down without hitting water. I think this is at about 100' ASL.

Thanks!

diggermatt

Apr 16, 2014
I dont know to much about wells, but it could be a well that dried up...I think that happens...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SOOOOOOO...........whats up dude.... still snow on your little secret? , or did you fall in your hole?

RafterRat

Greenie
Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would still be interesting to see if you could drain it....Maybe using a 6volt or 12volt pump (with extra batteries and solar charger) and check it out thoroughly....just to see if there is anything besides water in it. It is a perfect hiding place for valuables....or a body....let us know if you find Jimmy Hoffa....

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would still be interesting to see if you could drain it....Maybe using a 6volt or 12volt pump (with extra batteries and solar charger) and check it out thoroughly....just to see if there is anything besides water in it. It is a perfect hiding place for valuables....or a body....let us know if you find Jimmy Hoffa....
You're right. A 12 volt bilge pump hooked to a charged deep cycle battery may be able to drainthis out depending on the rise.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out there 2 weeks ago but I kept hearing a coyote yipping.
The closer to the mound I got, the louder it got, like maybe he was standing right on the mound. I chickened out and turned back.

But I got out there today. There was a deer next to the mound today – much friendlier company. I came up with a steel lever which moves the cover of the mound quite easily.
It is still filled with water at pretty much the same level as a month ago.

One thing I found about 200 yards from the mound were pieces of some kind of slag, can anyone ID this?
View attachment 1007964 View attachment 1007965

Does look like slag from a smelter.

My first thought on looking at your mound was that it was a relatively early furnace.

We have many of those here in Maryland in the woods.

I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread... how deep does your hole in the center of the mound go?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you happen to take a ball of string or rope with a weight to see how deep the mound is?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread