Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post a photo of the coin. There's a cleaning section here. I use distilled water or peroxide depending on what it is or how crusty it is.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO, the crusty coppers I have found so far, it all depends on how crusty it is to start. I do believe that a person can clean off some of the detail if you get too aggressive ( peroxide, lemon juice) Any of those seem to take some detail away sometimes after the dirt is gone. Sometimes I feel that adding water turns some types of dirt to almost concrete. My choice would be very lightly use a tooth pick and try and remove dirt slowly by hand. After a little of that, then soak it in olive oil. For me it seams like after a few hours of soaking I can then start to see some detail in the light holding the coin in different positions.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would advise that you stop finding them. No need to go through the aggravation of fooling with them. Just tell us where you are finding them and we will remove those pesky time consuming worries for ya. Just trying to help..... ha ha. HH:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
bountyhuntergirl86

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.. :-) ive found that vinegar and lemon juice are too abrasive..

Sent from my Diva Detector using TreasureNet :-)

OP
OP
bountyhuntergirl86

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would advise that you stop finding them. No need to go through the aggravation of fooling with them. Just tell us where you are finding them and we will remove those pesky time consuming worries for ya. Just trying to help..... ha ha. HH:icon_thumleft:

Lmao! Nah, ill take the time ;-)

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toothpick it. No water. If it looks dried out afterwards seal it with Chapstick. This method has worked wonders for me. Water can ruin copper coins. Just my two cents.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the best way to clean crusty coppers without damaging or discoloring them???

So much discussion on the verboten topic of (GASP) cleaning coins! ;)

You'll get answers here but you'll have so many methods to choose from, you might as well not ask. :)

One thing I've learned over many, many years of getting my finds to look their best in my display is that it depends on the find.
The different ways that time and environment affect any one find makes them individuals. Oh sure, there are some overlaps. Somethings work as a sort of standard.
But, if one tries to use one method that worked on one find, they may find that it was the absolute worst thing they could do for another.

One develops an eye for what coins may lend themselves to being "cleaned". Also, that word, "cleaned" means different things to different people.

Until you develop that "eye", I'd suggest posting a good pic of the coin so those who may have the knack might be better able to help. In most cases, it's better to maybe knock the dust off but no more. Sometimes, the only way the detail can be seen is because it's dusty. :)

Good luck!

land1987j

Feb 7, 2013
? So a guy told me he would let he's coins sit in ketchup for a week..so my dumnass did with all my wheet cents..now they lost color and have greenish tent. .is there anyway to fix them or take that off

OP
OP
bountyhuntergirl86

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay thank you for the tips everybody ill try them :-)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to you, hope you find what works for you! HH!

OP
OP
bountyhuntergirl86

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? So a guy told me he would let he's coins sit in ketchup for a week..so my dumnass did with all my wheet cents..now they lost color and have greenish tent. .is there anyway to fix them or take that off

To much acid in ketchup... that sucks

OP
OP
bountyhuntergirl86

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much discussion on the verboten topic of (GASP) cleaning coins! ;)

You'll get answers here but you'll have so many methods to choose from, you might as well not ask. :)

One thing I've learned over many, many years of getting my finds to look their best in my display is that it depends on the find.
The different ways that time and environment affect any one find makes them individuals. Oh sure, there are some overlaps. Somethings work as a sort of standard.
But, if one tries to use one method that worked on one find, they may find that it was the absolute worst thing they could do for another.

One develops an eye for what coins may lend themselves to being "cleaned". Also, that word, "cleaned" means different things to different people.

Until you develop that "eye", I'd suggest posting a good pic of the coin so those who may have the knack might be better able to help. In most cases, it's better to maybe knock the dust off but no more. Sometimes, the only way the detail can be seen is because it's dusty. :)

Good luck!

Thanks a lot :-)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
mineral oil and q-tips ...and maybe a toothpick....

I agree! Soak the coins in mineral oil for several weeks or more to loosen dirt and corrosion, then remove the dirt and corrosion with Q-tips, a toothpick or green Rose Thorn. I sometimes use Virgin Olive Oil but it does tend to darken some coppers!

Frank

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I ask, why are you trying to clean up the coppers?

OP
OP
bountyhuntergirl86

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gives Me something to do.. and I like to make them look there best..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread