Very unusual cartridge case

Brut dad

Dec 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this along the Ohio river while metal detecting an old home site in a field outside Evansville IN. It is a two piece construction that is riveted together with two very small and flat brass pins. It measures 1.28 L and .58 D. It is a rim fire and by the dent in the bottom it has been fired. Any help identifying this would be greatly appreciated. I have been collecting cartridges for a long time and have never seen anything like this one. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 1

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
somebody might have made that from two old shells to hide something in.....hmmmm

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sending your pictures to my son for his opinion. He's a firearms guru. If he don't know, maybe he'll know how to find out. It's a cool find for sure. I have never seen one . In the photo, the rivet looks like it would interfere, but I'm guessing that it's smoothed flush. An optical illusion?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like something that was made after being fired

OP
OP
B

Brut dad

Dec 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, the rivets are flush. They are riveted down so flat that they don't stick up at all or very little. I have never seen any thing like it. A lot of really cool old items have came from this site. The same day I found the cartridge my brother found a large silver Mexican coin dated 1840.

OP
OP
B

Brut dad

Dec 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could have been. Can't imagine for what though. Hopefully some one will have seen one before and knows what it is. Thanks

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find! A mystery! Cool! Congrats!

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Brut dad, I showed your photos to my son, and we are wondering if it could be some type of pinfire cartridge. Is it open on the end? If so, is there any way to get a picture showing the inside? If you google "pinfire ammo" there are similar images, but none that explain the apparent two piece construction.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 2 similar cartridge cases stuck together but thought they were home made match holders. Mine didn't have any rivits though.:icon_scratch:
ZDD

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brut dad, I showed your photos to my son, and we are wondering if it could be some type of pinfire cartridge. Is it open on the end? If so, is there any way to get a picture showing the inside? If you google "pinfire ammo" there are similar images, but none that explain the apparent two piece construction.
Learned something new today, thanks.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread