Civil War Railroad boxcar seal..

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all you fine folks out in TNet land! Had an awesome hunt and found some very nice finds. I found something I have only seen once before on TNet. I went into a part of the woods where I dug some bullets the week before. I found them on a ridge overlooking a flat area.. I decided to walk down into the flat area and see what I could find. My very first target was a bullet signal. I dug it and saw a small flat lead disk in the hole. This is what I found. image-244310022.jpg image-2293262992.jpg I saw the US stamp and thought..What in the world could this be? Come to find out it is a lead seal used on a boxcar. There was a lot of activity and a railway that was about 100 yards away that was used during the war. They would be used to prevent tampering with cargo in the boxcar of the soldiers and goods they shipped. I believe I have a very rare relic here. The seal reads US No. 3...that is the boxcar number I believe. The back of the seal usually has the destination embossed on it. This one does! image-3196934219.jpg image-3475976175.jpg image-3142274878.jpg Either way I think this is one I will never find again. I hope you folks like the pictures and the history behind this one. Feel free to comment on this one. Not much out there on this find.

Upvote 4

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find Zax. I've seen a lot of lead seals but not that one.
Congrats, :thumbsup:
MM

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping someone can confirm or debunk my claim. Like always I have searched the internet for known examples and have come up empty handed. I'm hoping someone can shed more light on this one. There is always a person out there that may have this one in a book and I'm hoping my claims are accurate. Breezie found one with a date on hers awhile back and I saw her post. Maybe my title will draw some attention and someone will comment! Thanks MM for your comment. I haven't seen any like it either. Hopefully it was off of a Union train transporting troops or goods.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread