A Grotty Roman coin, Seal Matrix, 1723 silver coin and...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected three fields the past two days. Wednesday evening was an exceptional hunt and produced the best finds I have found in a long time. I was shocked to find a possible Roman coin, have heard there have been Roman coins found around this area but never dreamed I would find one. Here is one of the fields I detected, it was a bust with only 3-4 targets dug in about an hour. There was a German Air defense FLAK gun site to the upper left of the photo, amazing I did not find any bullets of any type here but I did find a few pieces of bomb fragmentation.
28Feb07FLAKfield.jpg

Some relics and coins. A military button with “12”, small hinged piece, pewter button, a bronze cross, an iron buckle, a no detail copper coin, aluminum 1921 coin and another no detail copper.
28Feb07relics.jpg

This silver coin was an awesome signal after listening to hundreds of nail signals. The only thing I can read is the date of 1723, will have to clean it up later. Silver drought finally over in a very nice way!
28Feb071723sil.jpg

I may be wrong but, this looks like a crusty Roman bronze coin, the first thing I thought of when it popped up. This is the obverse, it has a raised bust near the left middle. A line in the middle from the 02:00-08:00 looks to be a possible helmet. My first Roman coin found in Germany and my third Roman coin find ever. The Romans were not established here however, I understand a lot of trade took place with the Romans as this town is on the Main river close by.
28Feb07RomanO.jpg

Reverse of the Roman, I can make out what looks like three letters at the 11:00 position but not sure what they are. Maybe someone with experience of finding grotty Roman coins can help me ID that it really is a Roman coin.
28Feb07RomanR.jpg

This beautiful little seal matrix was an awesome find. Probably dates to the 1600s. It has a super thick patina and is 28mm tall. Three major finds in one hunt, I’m still grinning!
28Feb07sealstem.jpg

Seal side of the matrix, unfortunately the thick patina covers most of the design/stamp. The design would help date it more accurately but I don’t think I will clean it, I will try to get a better picture later. HH, Mike
28Feb07sealstamp.jpg

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!!!, awesome digs Mike, WTG!!!
Love that old seal, very cool...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic looking finds Mike - I love the silver coin just showing enough to date it but not revealing all its secrets just yet. ;D

D

dugupfinds

Definately a Grot or scrappy as I call them.

I told you your get one, more to follow if time allows.

It looks to be a Dupondus. Probably 1st - 2nd century AD.

Seal Matrix Cica 14th century

I guess you know the item top middle is a Late Medieval Spur fitting.

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dugfinds, I was hoping you would pop in and have a look at it. Thanks for the ID help, had another ID as Roman on a German forum as well. I am not in the Roman Celtic area yet but this area did have Celtic and the town actually dates to Bronze Age. Crap weather today but I think I will go back to that field today even if it is storming, LOL! HH, Mike

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Mike those are some very interesting finds, I would love to find a roman coin but my chances are slim here in Texas, but ya just never know.
Awsome day out detecting Congrats on your finds Mike

Eddy

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing historical finds,love the seal and lets not overlook a bronze cross which may be quit old.Great photos too,I need a new camera

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man i need to break the 1700s in a bad way got my fingers crossed this year!
damn fine digs as always 8)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds MIke, love that old stuff :)

Don

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! excellent finds!

HH
-GC

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic job Mike (as usual)! Thanks for sharing...I would love to find an old Roman coin one of these days.

Thanks for sharing!

HH/NS

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome finds Mike and Congrats :o :o :o

tinpan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Mike!! Looks like you are still doing great!!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I like the seal matrix and the cross the best.

Nice work!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread