BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mint error Penny found. Missing last # in date '197'

Good morning from PA everyone. I posted this picture in the coins section but have yet to really get an idea of how rare this might be. I found this coin not 24 hours ago and after looking over it for a while I can't seem to find any evidence of the last digit ever being there. I have herd of this before and its usually the last number to be blocked, possibly grease. I found a guy who also found a 197 D penny and is getting mixed info on what its worth. My immediate thought was that someone removed it in the attempt to fake the error but again I can't see any evidence of the # ever being there. Any and all help would be great. Weather its rare or not id love to learn more about it.
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

20140118_220318.jpg

Upvote 3

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I would bring it to a coin person maybe,or look at it some more under a scope,also threads here die fast unless you have a catchy thread title,or keep bumpin it to the top, till someone with the knowledge can chime in

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bring it to a coin person maybe,or look at it some more under a scope,also threads here die fast unless you have a catchy thread title,or keep bumpin it to the top, till someone with the knowledge can chime in

Thanks for the reply bud!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lincoln memorial cents missing a digit in the date go for around $6.00 each on eBay.

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lincoln memorial cents missing a digit in the date go for around $6.00 each on eBay.

thanks for that info. Id more like to know the value just as a conversation topic. I don't plan on selling it but owning something like this without any story behind it seems boring to me! Plus its snowing here and its a FOOTBALL day so again thanks a lot!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
either a weak strike or a filled die. either way it's cool, but not really worth much

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's a greased die, I used to collect a lot of pennies and came across several like this. It's much more common to have missing numbers/letters near the edge of the coin. I don't think they're considered too terribly rare, chances of finding one in a box of cents is probably right around the same chance of finding an Indian head cent so yeah, you'd have to search awhile to find one, but you can find them.

Value maybe at a couple of dollars, unfortunately, yours appears to have environmental damage. I'd still hold onto it, you don't come across them often.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats! :icon_thumleft: :occasion18: :hello2: It looks wonderful just as is, so I hope you leave it as is! Seems thrilling to have a coin "minted" in USA in the year 197 - will be nice conversation piece for years to come.
HAVE FUN! Andi

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! :icon_thumleft: :occasion18: :hello2: It looks wonderful just as is, so I hope you leave it as is! Seems thrilling to have a coin "minted" in USA in the year 197 - will be nice conversation piece for years to come.
HAVE FUN! Andi

HAHA great post. Im not doing anything more as far as cleaning. No point. Im a keeper myself so its rare for me to sell anything! Thanks again!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice error coin. Probably the die on the last digit was filled with grease and so it was "struck through" the grease and would not set in the last number. I have a couple like this.

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love your default pic. The bag of nuts commercial!! My friend and his crew 'The Misunderstoods' wrote that commercial. Awesome!

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
yea I got a kick outta it too, another good one is the farmers commercial,he says something about the prices go up,on your jewelry then they show the prospector,in the window.....I laugh everytime I see him

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Grease errors like yours are uncommon but not rare. I have one from 1991 (date says "199", last 1 is very faint). If other reliefs in the immediate area or radius are also lightly struck, I'd say you've got a grease error. For that last digit, check the other reliefs on the rim (IGWT, etc). If there are ANY scratches, it is probably Post-Mint Damage (PMD).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread