Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funnymoney021.jpg I bought several bags of 1972-P cents. Mentioned it in a previous thread. Well, I sent a bunch to my daughter in NY to sort through, as it's a kind of fun hobby to share, looking for treasures from the mint. She got a pretty good ID on one today and called me a little while ago, totally excited. It started life as a planchet meant to become a Philippines 5 Centavos coin, but wound up in the wrong "pile" at the Philly mint and got struck as a Lincoln. So that's an incorrect (foreign) planchet with a Lincoln strike, probably MS-63 as it's uncirculated. Diameter is the same as a Lincoln, but it is not as thick as the metal is more brassy. Weight is 2.65 grams, which is underweight for a Lincoln. We're going to have it graded and slabbed. No pics, she has it so I'll try to get a pic later. In appearance It looks like a near perfect Lincoln, however. I've created a CRH monster! Hold the presses, she just sent me a pic.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool! I have several of my 1973's I thought something was off on, never thought to weigh them as I am a total newb at coins! Looks like I will be at the scale all day! Sweet find!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow I have never heard of such a thing happening, I wouldn't have thought the two different type blanks would be that close together at the mint to get mixed up. That's really cool!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one had a different look to it, I wouldn't weigh them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread