Best time yet at the Ghost town.

Colorado Kidd

Feb 19, 2007
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Well,

It was a beautiful day for Colorado in March. Got up to 60 degrees for the first time this year and no wind. Sunny too. Went back the the old town lot where I've found a few old coins in two short hunts. Hunted about 2 hours today. Boy, that place is trashy. I thought I was going to go nuts with all the signals. I was hunting with the disc. turned up to pulltab but decided to drop it down and tough it out. Glad I did because the next signal was a 1914 Buffalo nickel, my first ever. Got another good signal and thought, yea yea another piece of tin can. Then my daughter rolled a coin out of the pile. 1909 V Nickel, another first for me. The lady that lives next door to the empty lot, in one of the original downtown buildings, hears us whooping and hollering and comes out. We showed her what we had found and she tells us that we can hunt her yard and the lot on the other side of her any time we want. Now the other lot was the site of a hotel in the 1880's. There is so much metal there that I will be busy all summer. I plan to do some sifting too. Here are some pics.

This is my first old button and I think its a dandy. I can just imagine some farmer driving home in his model T with his overall strap flapping and cursing his rotten luck.
31107button.jpg

This is the lot where the hotel stood.
hotel.jpg
Also got permission to hunt here. Don't know what the bussiness was that was here.
redbuilding.jpg

Here are the kids with our two hard won old coins.
kids.jpg

Here is a closeup of them.
31107coins.jpg

The trash was mighty today. Filled my pouch twice. Worth it though.
trash.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'll be back there next Saturday. Happy hunting.

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, you had fun and so did the children. ;D

;) RR

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job and good luck with the other sites!!HH

T

TreasureTales

Treasure hunting a ghost town with dad will leave many happy memories with your children. That's a treasure, too. The coins are great. And sifting the soil might be very productive so here's hoping you do go ahead and do that sometime. The lady sounds very nice, maybe a little time chatting with her will be your gift to her. Folks can get lonesome.

Please keep posting the story and the pix of your hunts there, it's been great reading about it. Thank you.

OP
OP
C

Colorado Kidd

Feb 19, 2007
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Ace 250
I was wrong. There is an s below the five cents on the reverse. I need to get a good magnifying glass.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Wow that looks like a fantastic plce to hunt. I really like hearing a bunch of trash,it means a lot of people were there dropping all sorts of goodies. Really nice of the old lady to offer up the other spots for you as well,I bet you will have the best luck around that hotel,make sure u hit around any depressions and old tree stumps. Before A/C guests would spend a lot of time out on the lawn underneath the shade trees playing cards and passing the time. Great to see ya get the kids out too,I have several that get out with me,they have their own detectors and work in teams and they do quite well. I love seeing them make a good find they get so excited and they seldom complain and Ive yet to hear anyone say'Im bored',HH...Shoot

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Colorado Kidd said:
I was wrong. There is an s below the five cents on the reverse. I need to get a good magnifying glass.

Good details on the coin for being a dug example. My book is putting the 1914-S Bufallo at $20.00+/-

The liberty books for around $1.00, but it's historic value is priceless....Really for the kids!!!

Great find man! $21.00 for 2 nickels is awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread